Warranty issues with performance upgrades??

jon_bousfield

I totally agree it shouldn't and from the investigations I did years back they can't due to European legislation.

The American's were similarly convinced they couldn't due to a law out there.

However I wouldn't want to spend my house on legal fees to find that a manufacturer have found a loop hole.

Of course it doesn't, if you're braking from 60 mph, what difference does it make how quickly you got there?

Because if you're a driver who wants more power, you're going to be braking from more than 60, more often.

If it makes no difference, why do performance cars get given uprated brakes as standard?

Because if you're a driver who wants more power, you're going to be braking from more than 60, more often.

That isn't necessarily true though is it, just because you have more power doesn't mean you drive faster, it just means you get there quicker, the speed limit is still the speed limit after all, and none of us ever break that.

Different drivers have different styles, some use the brakes more than others, it's a non argument, I might live at the top of a hill, which means I use my brakes more than someone who doesn't, it just means I might have to change my pads more frequently, and those aren't a warranty item.

If it makes no difference, why do performance cars get given uprated brakes as standard?

99.9% of the time it's purely for marketing/posturing, the vast majority of sports cars will never see a race track where the upgraded brakes are of benefit, now taking a car on track, admitting it to the manufacturer, and trying to make a warranty claim is another story entirely, although there are of course exceptions for cars designed with track driving in mind.

Edited by Tipex

That isn't necessarily true though is it, just because you have more power doesn't mean you drive faster, it just means you get there quicker, the speed limit is still the speed limit after all, and none of us ever break that.

Ah yes, I completely forgot that.