Roomy Saloon not as dull as a Passat? (looking for options from A4)

Waylander

It's the Jag you want so just do it!

Don't they do a 4 pot diesel? Though they did a twin turbo 2.2?

I appreciate it sounds silly even as I type it but it is the car I really want so I would prefer to buy it when I am able to afford a newer one rather than an older one that I might just be able to afford...?

Hence in the meantime I would prefer to get a car that can accommodate the family, is nice to own/drive but which is within budget and get the pennies saved up.

Now had I managed to talk her out of that glass staircase.....

Thing is - the hatch makes the A5 a whole lot more useful than the A6 saloon.

As for the interior - I really didn't like the E90 and thought the E8* 1-series was shocking - which is why I had a Passat in the past. However, the new F10/20/30 BMWs have moved the game on significantly.

So.. as I said earlier - Volvo S80. I really rate Volvo interiors and ergonomics - but as a company car, they are far too heavily taxed - if the V40 or S60 emissions had been low enough, I'd have been driving a Volvo, not BMW.

But for a private used sale, that doesn't really matter.

It was part of the wide ranging diesel engine joint venture between Ford and PSA, but was designed, developed and built at Dagenham.

In various forms it has appeared in Jags (S Type, XJ, XF), Citroens (including the sublime C6) and Land Rovers.

And it's arguably one of the most reliable large diesel units of its time.

It was part of the wide ranging diesel engine joint venture between Ford and PSA, but was designed, developed and built at Dagenham.

In various forms it has appeared in Jags (S Type, XJ, XF), Citroens (including the sublime C6) and Land Rovers.

And it's arguably one of the most reliable large diesel units of its time.

This engine is very quiet, largely because of some clever magnetic dampers that constantly 'listen' to the vibrations in the engine and adjust accordingly. Very clever stuff, made in Britain too, it paid for my conservatory when I used to have a proper job :coffee:

Anyway, back on topic, the S80 is nice but will depreciate like crazy, is the S60 big enough ? Have you considered a well specced Mondeo ? I think as a good all rounder the Mondeo takes some beating.

The S60 is A4 size, so not any bigger in the back at all.

If you get a high mileage car, the depreciation has basically already been paid for. However, if you do low mileage in it, it might not like it so things might start going wrong.

High milers need to continue to be high milers in reality.

Your best bet, is to drive them, see what you like then take wife & family to see the ones you have whittled the list down too.

S80 is getting a bit long in the tooth for me these days, it must be due a replacement soon.

At the price range you are looking at I would agree with TDK, the depreciation will be way above average.

That said, it uses the Ford platform also used in the Galaxy, S-Max etc, so it drives much better than you'd expect, Ford chassis are excellent these days, and we've never had any reliability issues with any of the Volvos we have including a couple of S80 D5s.

I don't think you'd find a Skoda Superb in price range yet, not the current one anyway, and the previous shape is showing it's age now, but I have to disagree with some of the comments above, it's quite a nice place to sit in decent spec, just don't be fooled by the silly boot, it's a gimmick and makes no difference to boot space/access.

At the end of the day, if the interior is the most important factor (I fully understand that too), only you can decide what you like, Personally I'm not a fan of Audi interiors, but others love them, so i'd just go and spend a morning wandering around the dealers and sizing up what you do and don't like, i'd not be giving much thought to what the mrs/kids like either personally, unless they are doing all the driving.

Edited by Tipex

Seems daft to spend money now before saving again for the car you want. IMHO make do with what you have until you can afford what you want or bite the bullet and spend a little extra now and buy your first choice.

Need a bigger car, can't afford the car I aspire to - simples.

Ergo have to get something in the meantime that fits the bill.

Mondeo is a good shout too - as running costs should be low too.

Mondeo is a good shout too - as running costs should be low too.

If you like the Mondeo, then take a look at the S-Max too, they are incredibly versatile family cars.

My Galaxy (which is the same platform/engine etc) is the 1.8 TDCi (125bhp) and does a genuine 50mpg around town, the 2.0 engine isn't quite as economical but can be had with the Powershift gearbox which is the Ford equivalent of DSG, and it's very good.

Edited by Tipex

Does it have to be a saloon? There are about a hundred V70s out there for every S80, and good ones to suit every budget.

If you like the Mondeo, then take a look at the S-Max too, they are incredibly versatile family cars.

My Galaxy (which is the same platform/engine etc) is the 1.8 TDCi (125bhp) and does a genuine 50mpg around town, the 2.0 engine isn't quite as economical but can be had with the Powershift gearbox which is the Ford equivalent of DSG, and it's very good.

now that is another topic in itself - this is going to be my commuting car so yes I want a saloon.

Wife currently has a civic which is very roomy in the back but she is angling for a change as well and has an eye on the Volvo XC90; as you say though the Galaxy is lovely too.

But the saloon is my main focus right now....

Forget the insignia - and tbh I wouldn't rush at the mondeo - I've had both and find 3 abreast in the rear very tight, less of an issue in the mondeo, but in the insignia (and you're more than welcome to pop down and try mine) is a non starter if you have 5 people in the car on a regular basis. The insignia is a great car as a family hack, but regular use by 5 is not good.

The zafira on the other hand is now a pretty good car, I've been running around in one of these also and its not a bad car. The benefit of any of these cars named is that youll get a far newer / better specced car for your money.

Volvo XC90, have one of those currently as well and its nice D5 is a nice engine pulls well, but if you like toys you'll struggle as their tech seems a bit 'old'. Another car on a budget might be the Chevy Captiva, my sister purchased one a while back, great second hand pricing because they are so unpopular and have phenomenal depreciation from new, but it seats 5 easy (its a 7 seat as 2 seats in boot) but it easy gets her family of 5 plus big dog and luggage.

How about looking around for an Old Omega saloon?

Vauxhall Omega Saloon - Silver 55,000 miles For Sale (2003) on Car And Classic UK [C406250]

The money you'll save on budget will give your wife more choice, you'll get more brownie points - win:win. The omega is one of the best saloons built at the time and the demoes I saw at various proving grounds it as easily a match in terms of build against any audi / bmw saloon being built.

Time hasn't served the Omega well, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole these days, parts are very pricy and they are all getting on a bit these days.

Insignia is rapidly losing favour in the cabbing world due to the rear space, but more importantly because they are so unreliable, the Vectra wasn't great compared to it's rivals, but the Insignia is in a whole new league, and it's always serious problems.

What problems you seeing - I've not seen anything major - just real problems relating to space, they are very nearly not a family car, 2 child seats in the rear and that's it. Saying that though none of ours have been past 50k miles so i'm guessing we're not in expensive breaks territory yet.

Engines, gearboxes, you name it, if it's expensive to replace, it'll break.

What's worse is that for a lot of the engine faults, Vauxhall haven't a clue why they are failing, they spend a fortune under the warranty replacing half the engine seemingly at random, camshafts on one car, intake de-coking on another, pistons on another, for the same fault, and when nothing works, they are forced to offer refunds or replacement vehicles, they are trying to keep things a bit quiet obviously, but a mate of mine has just left his position as master tech at the local Vauxhall dealer to set up on his own as a mobile mechanic, and he says no one has any idea what is wrong with their diesel engines and why they fail.

The 2lt TDCI with powershift is shockingly thirsty, though.

I had one for 2 weeks when my Golf's engine was being rebuilt - averaged less than 35mpg.