BMW 435d XDrive coupe

cruiser647

I was chatting about these yesterday....

I don't know if it is just me (and the person I was talking to about them), but they just don't look right in anything other than top model spec.  The one you saw would have been close to that.

In boggy base spec with the tiny alloys they just don't look right.  Wasted, almost.  They just look like they're trying very hard.

The M model may be completely different.

Fair point, but I think it stands out more on a 4 series because it has a sporty shape to it.

It is difficult to explain but I think the best way to say it is that the whole design/shape of the car appears to lend itself to filled arches, wider tyres from the rear, more exhausts, hunkered down look and feel?  So then, when you see it in a clearly unsporty guise, it can't pass it off.

If I see a 318i, say, on 16" alloys, I expect it a bit more.  Does that make sense?

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

It does - although I was referring to an E92 Coupe 320ed SE - a mate has one and it's got leather, nav and cruise, but just 16" alloys.  Just looks poverty spec.  Maybe the new 3 and 4 series with their more sculpted look imply a more sporty look (that sounds so duff!).

Maybe it's because I live in the land of hopeless aspiration where absolutely everyone feels obliged to give the impression they're f*cking loaded despite the clear evidence they're not, but I'd say most BMWs I see are base/SE/whatever spec rather than M Sport.

How they look all depends on colour and spec, I suppose. I've seen lots of 4 series and I'm left slightly underwhelmed. I like the 'mini 6 series' cues, but it just seems a bit ... bland. I don't think it enjoys quite the same classic lines as the outgoing E92. Maybe it'll grow on me.

in the bright metallic blue.

Looked OK heading south on the A1, bright Angel Eyes on.

Seemed a fair bit chunkier than the previous 3 coupe.

sorry, no pics. :(

Maybe it was the same one we saw... and I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed if I'm honest.  Looked very high on it's feet and a bit plain.

Looking forward to seeing the M4, with it's flared arches and wide stance

Maybe it's because I live in the land of hopeless aspiration where absolutely everyone feels obliged to give the impression they're f*cking loaded despite the clear evidence they're not, but I'd say most BMWs I see are base/SE/whatever spec rather than M Sport.

The spec thing is very model specific, apparently.

For example, only 20% of all 5 series are M Sport (probably the fleet aspect coming in to that I'd imagine), yet almost 70% of 3 series are M Sport.  With the 1 series it is 50/50.

That Alfa leather may look nice, but the utter tat of a dashboard that surrounds it just about sums up Alfa Romeo as a brand.

I've seen more welcoming wheelie bins than the plastic they've used on that.

We had a new Gullietta on holiday.  Never again will I choose an Alfa.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe