Changing Fiat 500 battery

drpellypo

Evening! 

MrsP's 500 struggled to start yesterday. Didn't start at all this morning. Car is coming up to 4 years old now and only has 17,000 miles, so most definitely battery. I've ordered the correct spec battery, albeit a Varta, and was looking for any advice with regards to it being stop-start. Do I need to jump lead up a second battery to keep terminals live, or can I disconnect and plug new one in? Have spent the last two hours googling and got nowhere! 

Many thanks. Hope you're all well! 

Can't imagine why stop/start would have any bearing on changing a battery, usually it just means a slightly heavier duty battery to cope with the additional load of starting the engine more often.

So long as you have all the relevant security codes for the stereo/nav unit if needed (often not needed these days as they are coded to the ecu) you should be fine.

It's to do with the learning controls on the box that sits on top of the battery. This constantly monitors the battery condition and talks to the ECU.  I'm struggling to find info on Fiats but I know for certain that's some seats and bmw's that have stop start have to have the battery coded into the car. 

Edited by drpellypo