BMW M2 Competition

Riz

My Golf R is due in for its 40K service on the 21st and I thought it would be a great time to test drive the Audi RS3 .... then I see this beast... BOOM!

BMW M2 Competition - 405bhp

De-tuned BMW M4 engine (S55) with 405bhp and 406lb/ft - Twin Turbo

Revised body styling / bumper and allow wheels

Revised M sports seats

DCT as standard

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/08/leaked-bmw-m2-competition-photos-and-info/#jp-carousel-284099

The problem is I really need something with rear doors for the kids.... mmm perhaps buy a cheap run-a-bout and have the M2 for weekends :D lol

The RS3 would give me a hatch opening, extra rear doors, 4WD and that glorious 5 cyl engine sound track.......

Edited by Riz

15 minutes ago, E-bmw said:

You forgot understeer & numb steering in that.

Surely the new face-lift Audi RS3 isn't too bad in the understeering / handling department ...... I find the steering in my Golf R good enough for my usage.  :)

Part of me is having second thoughts, as I might be better off just sticking with my Golf R for now.

I haven't driven all obviously but it has always been reported as a trait of pretty much everything from the Auto Union over the years, so I am not sure if they will ever get away from it.

If I didn't know better, I would think they seem to engineer it in.

3 minutes ago, E-bmw said:

I haven't driven all obviously but it has always been reported as a trait of pretty much everything from the Auto Union over the years, so I am not sure if they will ever get away from it.

If I didn't know better, I would think they seem to engineer it in.

Seeing YouTube video's of M3's losing their back ends makes me scared.... can I handle a RWD car considering how easily they seem to flip out on you. :D lol

Edited by Riz

It depends what you are driving and how though doesn't it. 

Pick any BMW low to high and in default DSC and you can floor the thottle and it will just go round in a perfect circle. Turn it off or have it in M mode and then the fun starts. Many do the former and think they are gods gift but forget there is 400bhp going through two pieces of rubber and that doesn't end well. 

On the road the No. of times you can really do this is limited, M mode gives you more of a chance to play but still a safety blanket. Personally I've found BMWs feel more secure on and near the limit than the Audis I've had but there are merits of both. 

Try them, I did this when I tested the S3 and 330i all those years ago and they were night and day different. By chance I test drove through the same greasy roundabout and the Audi was an understeered mess the BMW went round almost as if the road was dry I genuinely shocked. 

Give both a go. +++

• Like 2

A few years ago I had an e39 530i Sport & even back then the "toys" when left on were amazingly effective in iffy conditions.

Yes, they were a bit dumb back then & you could feel the intervention but it never understeered unless you made it do it, it only lost the back when you wanted it to, it was convincingly the best all-round car I have ever owned.

Yes, I know there are many better now but it was just a revelation at the time, many since have improved but that was the first proper performance car I drove that actually worked with the toys on, before then I used to just get in & turn them off.

• Like 2

Yeah I'd have the M2 any day - the competition looks awesome, in fact I want to change mine now :(

As Andrrew says the M4CS looks pretty awesome.

Having had a couple of BMWs in the last couple of years, it will be along time until I go back to Audi. I test drove the RS3 before the M2 was ordered and don't regret my decision one bit.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shao_khan said:

Yeah I'd have the M2 any day - the competition looks awesome, in fact I want to change mine now :(

As Andrrew says the M4CS looks pretty awesome.

Having had a couple of BMWs in the last couple of years, it will be along time until I go back to Audi. I test drove the RS3 before the M2 was ordered and don't regret my decision one bit.

I think probably the biggest negative for me is not having the rear doors for the kids...... this got me looking and used cars which is cheaper option compared to a highly spec'd brand new Audi RS3.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/f80-m3-post-14/bmw-m3-m3-4dr-dct-competition-pack/8570108

I may just end up with my Golf R!!! :D lol

14 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I can't believe the myth about BMW's being 'scary' because of RWD is still out there.  Complete crock of shite.  You either know how to drive responsibly and how to drive at all, or you don't.  There.

Think a used M3 saloon is going to make the list.... :D

8 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

You'll buy a Golf R.  You know it.  I know it.  We all know it.  The chances of you buying a BMW are the same as me shagging Liz Hurley tonight.

Already own the Golf R ;) once the house move is done I’m going to decide on what to do, keep the Golf R or change to something bigger.

Still taking a test drive in the RS3, however as each day passes I’m leaning towards a good used car.

17 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

It won't stop you buying another Golf R....

Or an RS3 (and they're a very nice car).

But it won't be a BMW.

Have you driven an M3, M2, etc?

Nope, never driven a M car before, driven a SLK55 AMG once but apart from the engine noise, it left me cold.

Edited by Riz

34 minutes ago, E-bmw said:

'Ang on a minute, is that even 2" bigger in total?

Actually the boot is even smaller than my Golf R’s I believe..... I guess it’s not really a wise move considering it’ll also end up costing a whopping £56k!!!

In reality is still a Golf underneath.

£45-48k on a used M3 Competion seems a better idea at the moment.

Edited by Riz

On 15/04/2018 at 8:19 AM, Riz said:

Actually the boot is even smaller than my Golf R’s I believe..... I guess it’s not really a wise move considering it’ll also end up costing a whopping £56k!!!

In reality is still a Golf underneath.

£45-48k on a used M3 Competion seems a better idea at the moment.

My S8 was in the Audi shop for it's MOT, so I looked around the shiny showroom and looked at the S3 saloon.  I opened the rear doors and couldn't believe how little room there was in the back.  The front seat didn't look overly far back, but it was inclined back at quite an angle.

plus, the saloon boot will be less usable that the Golf R boot in many cases.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

My S8 was in the Audi shop for it's MOT, so I looked around the shiny showroom and looked at the S3 saloon.  I opened the rear doors and couldn't believe how little room there was in the back.  The front seat didn't look overly far back, but it was inclined back at quite an angle.

plus, the saloon boot will be less usable that the Golf R boot in many cases.

I agree, hence why the RS3 Saloon is off the list, even the Sportback has a smaller boot than the Golf R I belive? +/- 10 litres?

Saw a M3 Competition this morning walking through the car park...... drool. :)