[Audi A3/S3] A3 Oil Consumption

bigJonnyR

Hi,

I have a new (5 months old) Audi A3 2.0 Fsi.

It has used 5 Litres of oil (the ultra fine/expensive stuff) in 6000 miles.

Audi are claiming that this is normal and can't find any faults with the engine.

Can other drivers of the new A3 please let me know how much oil they've put into thier cars for the mileage they have done.

I've never had a car use as much oil as this and I'm convinced that Audi are taking the p**s.

I can't remember where I read it but I did read about this issue in a motoring magazine/ newspaper supplement this weekend. Basically they were having the same problem, in that they were putting in nearly a litre of oil per thousand miles.

Whether the engine should do this or not i can't say, but it would seem that you're not the only one.

Dude, first off, welcome to Tyresmoke grin.gifbeerchug.gif

While I don't have a "New" A3, I did go through about 2L of oil in my TQ within the first couple of months. But since then, she hasn't really used up much crazy.gif While your usage seems a tad much, I think it's normal for these engines to use up a bit of oil when new smashfreakB.gif

Sorry I couldn't be more help crazy.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think the general concensus amongst people I've spoken too (mechanics and Audi owners) is that 5 litres in 6000 miles is not normal.

I will have a look around for the motoring supplement that was mentioned, I'd be interested to read it!

More shouting at Audi for me today in an attempt to get something done (and get my car back - not seen it for 7 weeks now)!

Thanks again.

The 2.0FSE engine is an all new design that was first introduced last year with the new Audi A3, and has now appeared in the Golf MkV. It could well be that their has been an initial design or manufacturing problem with say the piston rings. There is no point having an engine running with expensive long life oil, if it burns it all away within 5000 miles! It would not be the first VAG oil problem as the old 2.0 8v used in last golf plus new beetle also has very heavy oil consumption. VAG could have a big problem here that is worth investigating if your engine is not a one off case.

My Audi dealer told me that 'a car that uses up to 1 litre per 1000km is deemed as acceptable but if its any more than that then they will investigate it and/or will replace or repair ur engine.'

I would ring around a few dealers for opinions coz 1000miles per litre is very excessive

cheers

Just came off the phone to Audi Customer Services about my excessive oil problem (see top of this post).

They offered me some free oil!!!

(but they wouldn't say how much)

Every time I speak to ACS I lose more and more confidence in them.

I made the point that I would still have to go out in the rain and flip the bonnet on my brand new car every month. Just because I'm not paying for the oil doesn't neccessarily make the problem go away!

They are going to call me back tommorow, presumably with some other half baked solution!!

Audi didn't sneak in a RX-8 engine in there when you weren't looking?! confused.gif

There is a guy on the TT-forum.co.uk that has found the same problem with his FSI: guzzling oil at a rate of a litre every 1k miles.

I wonder if A4 FSI owners have the same problem, as I assume it's the same engine.

I have the 2.0TDI version of the A3: 0.5 litres in 5k miles. cool.gif

• 8 years later...

Hi have the same problem right now!!!

I have a A3 S-Line on a 10 plate that I got 7 weeks ago. I was driving down to Lincolnshire yesterday and the oil light came on!

I checked the oil and there was none left so I stopped to get some from a petrol station (At £22 per litre!!)

The engine said the oil was 102 degrees so i called Audi who told me there was a problem.

When I got the the garage, the service co-ordinater told me she had an Audi TT that uses a litre every 700 - 1000 miles but that was normal.

I explained that it wasnt as I had bmw's for 10 years and never needed to put a drop in. Also, that if I needed oil at this interval that was costing £22 every tank and a half, the running cost was the same as a bus!! They still have my car so will let you know later what "bullshit" excuss they come up with.

My opinion............ Although they look and drive better than a bmw, buy a Skoda!!!! :mad: