3 Series Compact vs A3 TDI DSG

Snail

Been out test driving motors with the old dear, and test driven a couple of tractors.

Firstly the BMW 3 Series Compact. We test drove the 2.0 TDi, and to be quite honest, i was amazed at the refinement of it. Drove very relaxed, and i know everyone says this, but you'd never tell the difference. The interior was spot on, even mum said she sat in it, and felt at home immediately. The interior layout, the seating, everything is spot on.

The really supprising one was the 2.0TDi DSG A3. Now firstly mum found when very dangerous feature. When shifting from sport to normal drive mode, its VERY easy to slip the car into neutral (she did it 3 times).

Right back to the A3. Now the BMW feels natural and relaxed inside, whereas the A3 seems modern contermporary, and possibly even a bit cramped. Gear box was a bit awkward, but....the combination of the 2.0TDi and the DSG is just great. The car is like a pocket rocket. Whereas the BM was all refined and smooth, the A3 was just dying to be raced. I was truely supprised how sporty the car felt. Mums after an S Line if she can get one, but even the normal one we drove was really nice fun handling.

Cant actually decide which of the 2 i prefer. The BM definitely feels like the better car, but an A3 2.0TDi DSG S Line, is £2k+ cheaper than the 3 Series Compact SE Auto we drove, and just seems soo much more fun to me (the sport BM adds another couple of K).

Mums looking at other cars, but the merc is even more expensive, so im guessing it'll be down to these 2. ECLIPSe.gif

Out of the blue a friend popped over this afternoon with his A3 Tdi DSG and we went out for a spin, that car is really impressive, good torque, great gearchange and very 'chuckable'......

I found it quite hard to fault the car...... Snail ol' mate - start saving, you will not regret it beerchug.gif

I liked both cars, and would gladly drive either. Very impressed with the drive of the A3, very sporty and fun.

The more i think about it though, the more i think mum was right, i think the Beemer was probably the better car.

As for saving, i couldn't save if i tried frown.gif