Audi DVD SatNav Plus and 512mb SD cards

The latest Audi SatNav plus DVD system has 2 SD/MMC card slots for MP3 music and IIRC something in the documentation about 256mb cards being the maximum size.

Does anyone know if the system will actually read the 512mb cards and why Audi have stipulated an upper limit?

I would have thought that the audio system would read straight from the cards? Surely the system wouldn't copy the cards data to some other internal memory location - would it?

A 256mb SD card is good for about 4 CDs worth of MP3/128kbits so the two cards together equate to 8 CD's of music - now a 16CD capacity would be so much better!

Thoughts, as always appreciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havn't tried this yet (512 card, I'll wait for some else to try this)... I went on e-buyer.com recently and purchased 3 MMC cards (which will work perfectly) The 256 MMC card for 38 pounds each! Bargin bucket! as high street retailers wanted 80 pounds+.

I've just managed to also install a playstation2. If you also ordered the TV-Tuner to go with the DVD-ROM Sat-Nav, the tuner will come with 2 AV-inputs. But this part to enable the physical connection is not available in Audi-UK dealers... yet! So browsed the Homeland of Audi. Germany!.. and after much searching in German with the aid of a translator from altavista.com I found it! It's made from a company called "Dietz" Part Number: 1230. and found it on this site..

"http://www.caraudio24.de/zubehoer/multimediainterface"

It costed me 45 Euros plus a 20 pound admin fee from the bank to transfer the funds to the mail order company. It arrived 4 days later in the UK. Was very reliable but make sure you translate everything carefully! Some of the wording translated sounds very old Latin-English like. They don't except credit cards except wire-transfers.

Also there seems to be an issue with these DVD-ROM sat-nav systems! When is the TMC Channel going to be active here in the UK?!?!?!?! Audi, Renault and Volvo are in the same pot. It has been active here in UK since 2002 but the DVD versions are not yet available! These are only on the new systems that have DVD-ROM satnav. These DVD's arn't cheap! 400 quid a pop!

[ QUOTE ]

Also there seems to be an issue with these DVD-ROM sat-nav systems! When is the TMC Channel going to be active here in the UK?!?!?!?! Audi, Renault and Volvo are in the same pot. It has been active here in UK since 2002 but the DVD versions are not yet available!

[/ QUOTE ]

TMC is available here - the data is in the background of the Classic FM transmissions - the Audi DVD SatNav has two tuners one can monitor the TMC broadcasts and the other to the radio stations that you want to listen to.

What is missing is the DVD navigation disk that contains the TMC codes along with the Teleatlas data, it is available in Germany, but not here. In another thread someone has picked up this with Audi who say we will have to pay £159 for an updated disk when they eventually become available.

Re: the MMC cards, oh dear, a trip to EBuyer Kingston 256mb SD would have bought your cards for £32.89 including VAT and delivery, you can buy cheaper than that - though Kingston have a fanatstic reputation for quality........

I'm just wondering if that when the documentation for Audi was written - 512mb cards didn't exist......I'll have to buy one and find out laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

I have my dealer looking into wether 256Mb+ cards will work or not. Audi Tech say they can only say that 256 WILL work, and not that larger won't.

I'd be very interested, as at the moment, the new DVD SatNav (according to my dealer) hasn't had a cable adaptor made (by Sony?) that then means you can fit a CD Changer too. Is this right?

Got the car a couple of days ago and I'm waiting for the adaptor to be released before the dealer can fit a CD Changer (boot or glovebox).

aha! just found out that half of the dealers cd changer fitting is done at the dealer end (instead of factory fit) and as my car was dealer fit, it uses slightly different cabling (factory fit doesn't require an adaptor).

they are talking with my (local) dealer to get the factory fit items, and they'll fit them (unless sony come up with an adaptor in the next day or so).

they're obviously swallowing the cost, so all I want is it doing asap!

one day, the satnav plus will ALSO house multiple disks, including it's own satnav DVD.

as far as the "more than 256Mb worth of card" story, no-one is prepared to say if a 1Gb card will work or not. I guess I need to find a shop that will sell me one, but that I can return if it doesn't work.

[ QUOTE ]

as far as the "more than 256Mb worth of card" story, no-one is prepared to say if a 1Gb card will work or not. I guess I need to find a shop that will sell me one, but that I can return if it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 512Mb card which I use in my PDA. I am getting a new A4 in Sep with SatNav+ and would love to know if it will work. I'll happily post my SD card to you so you can try it and then post it back if you want? If it works with 512Mb they it's a pretty sure bet there are no size limitations so should also work with 1Gb. Do you have a card writer that you'll be able to copy some files on to it with?

Drop me a message if you want to give it a try!

Russ.

[ QUOTE ]

in fact, I just got an email saying that it's been shipped, and as I put my work address as delivery address, I cn try it out when I get home tomorrow night and let everyone know

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks 'Slimbloke' - I'm really interested in the outcome of the test. I suppose it ultimately depends on how the Nav+ system handles the data on the card. We are all hoping that the Nav+ reads the data straight off the SD card..........and that the system isn't expecting to copy the SD card data into some sort of integral local storage???

Let's hope they did a proper job of designing it cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose it ultimately depends on how the Nav+ system handles the data on the card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true... apparently the only thing that would restrict the capacity useage of the card is the chip-set being used. Did I imagine it, or is there a "number of files" limit for the content of these cards anyway?

[ QUOTE ]

We are all hoping that the Nav+ reads the data straight off the SD card..........and that the system isn't expecting to copy the SD card data into some sort of integral local storage???

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful... the speed required to use the data direct from the card for music is very slow compared to the maximum speed the cards can handle (for example, when used in high resolution cameras)

[ QUOTE ]

Let's hope they did a proper job of designing it cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fingers crossed...

[ QUOTE ]

You have the choices of 32/64/128/256Mb

- has to be formatted in fat16

- max file name is 64 charaters (including folder names)

- max 400 files

- max 256 folders

- supports 32 to 320 kbits/s

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the board members posted this a while back with regard to the format/file name/folder structure rules which is listed in some dark corner of the documentation.....

If 256mb is the equivalent of 4 average CDs @ 128kbit, a 1gb card ought to be around 16 CDs worth so even at an average of 10 tracks per CD there is still plenty of flexibility.......

well, filled the card with MP3's (hard, cos I'd already started using AAC as my standard music file type) and stuck it into slot 1... waited, for a good 15 minutes, while the display said "loading"... but nothing.

sad

BUT! I put it into slot 2... and it worked a treat! a whole Gig of music, right there on the SatNav +

smile.gif

so, regardless of what the manual says, slot 2 works... no, I'm going to see if slot 1 works no too, or if there's some strange reason only slot 2 accepts the 1 Gib card.

[ QUOTE ]

well, filled the card with MP3's (hard, cos I'd already started using AAC as my standard music file type) and stuck it into slot 1... waited, for a good 15 minutes, while the display said "loading"... but nothing. Sad

BUT! I put it into slot 2... and it worked a treat! a whole Gig of music, right there on the SatNav + so, regardless of what the manual says, slot 2 works... no, I'm going to see if slot 1 works no too, or if there's some strange reason only slot 2 accepts the 1 Gib card

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic news Jay - if 1gb won't work in Slot1, does a 256mb still work concurrently in Slot1 with the 1gb card in Slot2 I wonder?

Thanks for taking the risk and thought of doing the return - much appreciated.

I spoke to a dealer about this and they called the 'factory' on my behalf. Apparently TMC works fine in Germany (useful) but there are 'no plans' to introduce it here. I'm pretty annoyed about this - particularly as when the new DVD's do come out they'll be in the £350 region I'm told!

Related to the Sat Nav Plus, really silly question. How do you turn off the music when using Sat Nav? Currently, if I just want route guidance, but no music, I have to turn the sound right down. The radio/cd/mp3 or tv is still running in the background. There appears to be no way of actually stopping a CD for instance playing.... confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a card in slot 1 and slot 2, does it "merge" them together, or do you have to select which slot/card you want to play songs from?

I currently have a 512Mb card and am also going to buy a 1Gb card, but it would be nice if I could treat them as a single 1.5Gb card rather than having to remember which songs are on which card smile.gif

Russ.