Supaguard - ToughSeal - Tree Sap

leejd

I've got a new golf and want to keep it tip top. I have a tree hanging over the end of my drive - I get a bit of sap, although not too much. On my old car I used a Tar remover - this gets the sap off okay.

If I get my car protected with Supaguard or Toughseal and then get sap on the car - will the removal of the sap also remove the protection system?

I'm probably going to plumb for Supaguard as I believe this to be the best product.

Agree with above!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you do do not waste your money on a treatment!! It will always spoil your paintwork! And it will allways take you hours to get it off!!!! and then wax it again!!!!

Yep - Cut the tree down or at leats a heap of branches!!! Don't get me started about trees!!!!!

Supagard is shiny, maybe with not quite the depth of a wax... but how long does that last anyway? I have a test here of almost 40 waxes, most of them are hanging on by the skin of their teeth after four weeks. The majority are dead after 3 weeks, which must mean that after 10 days, a wax only provides half the protection it had when you first put it on. so how long does that deep gloss last? A few days?

Anyway, Supagard does come with a conserver, but I'll be honest with you, it's an absolute pig to use. If you are going to go to the trouble of using conservers (which you don't really need to with supagard), then you are probably better off with something like Diamondbrite which is easy.

You can put waxes over the top of supagard, but remember that waxes contain solvent, so every time you do, you are wearing away at the sealant unless you know exactly the right kind of wax to use... and I am not about to start making recommendations, cos if I do, I am sure to upset somebody!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that.

I typed up that article... for the newspaper, by the time I had edited it down for the space, it was so brief as to be not much use to anybody but a complete idiot!

I'l revisit that thread and try and offer some sensible advice.

As for the waxes... we aren't exactly spoilt for choice in this country. There is loads of good stuff in America, which is hardly suprising as it's the biggest producer of chemicals in the world.

Anyway, I would suggest pink wax... this is a kind of generic mild wax which is produced by just about every manufacturer of professional products. I have no idea what the retail equivalant would be. There are some great products in America you could try if you don't mind ordering on the net. P21S should be very mild, and Zano Bros builds, so they should be fairly safe.

but in truth, there really is no safe product to use. In theory, if you put one sealant over the top of another, it shouldn't do any harm... problem is, what is a sealant and what is a synthetic wax? Is there any difference at all?

I did hear that NXT was good voer a sealant, but now I am hearing that NXT doesn't last any longer than a normal wax.

So really I don't know for sure right now. I have heard all sorts of things, but haven't tested them for myself. The only thing for sure is that the manufacturers say that it is a No No. But they would say that wouldn't they?

yeah true.

what would be good though is something that was "safe" to use that added more of a shine. i find that even after the conserver the car doesnt gleam quite as much as a waxed one which is just a tad..unsatisfying.

i want the prtoection of my sealant/conserver but a little post-wash bling wouldnt go amiss either!

I got my reply, the answer is that a a body shop safe sealant should be low on active solvents. And some of these finishing glazes are actually sealants.

So a body shop finishing glaze is what you should use, although he says they take about 24hrs to properly cure and give their best shine. (Which from my experience with glazes makes ne sense at all, but he is the expert!)

Danny THIS should interest you as i got the reply to an email i sent to Diamondbrite:

"Dear Riz,

We have a product on sale called Protective Glaze Sealant, this will allow you to get a very high gloss finish on the car whilst working in harmony with the Diamondbrite protection. The product instructions are on the bottle, you can purchase this from us on 01622 816104.

Regards,

Hayley Wallace

Customer Services"

Are you familiar with this product?

i havent called them to find out how much it costs - but then i would have to get someone to apply it for me

• 1 year later...