Driving in?

Frodo

The service indicator stays blank for the first 500km, I was sitting in the chunnel the other day messing about with the DIS and I managed to reset my service indicator by mistake, I was trying to reset the milometer but the key was in position 1 which is where you need it for the service reset confused.gif

And after doing 90mph all the way home and a few days of stop start dring it has come up with service in 8500 miles.

[ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm it is going to be so difficult keeping the ballet shoe's on

[/ QUOTE ]

You should count yourself lucky, if you'd asked here half a year ago there'd still have been people telling you to keep the revs down to x thousand for the first y thousand miles, then let it creep up to z thousand for the next y thousand miles, etc. etc., and basically not allowing yourself to drive properly until either (a) you were dead of old age or (b) you'd sold the car. Luckily this sort of "be as careful as possible, Just In Case, never mind the dealer's advice" thinking has largely gone out of the window. My understanding (thanks to TSN discussions, I must say) is that the whole running-in business dates back to the days of poorer engineering tolerances, when you had to run the engine cautiously while fine protrusions and irregularities in the moving parts got ground down; then you changed the oil, taking the debris with it, and then could drive at full revs. This was all very valid but seems to date back to the Ford Model T, or possibly the main aft turbines on Noah's Ark. Modern cars, as far as I know, simply do not need this, but people who've been motorheads from an earlier age than me do keep repeating it... UHOH7.GIF

Taking it easy for a thousand miles just to bed the rest of the car in, however, seems sensible; and Dieselmeister's point about the service interval is a new one and very interesting...

As has been suggested elsewhere you don't really have a running-in period although the brakes will take 100-300 miles to bed in.

Engine wise let the engine spin as opposed to holding a high gear at low speed - that increases the cylinder bore loadings markedly just as the piston rings are 'bedding in' which really isn't kind at all. So just drive normally and all will be well.

Some manufacturers actually fit a special oil filter that traps even smaller particles than normal when the car is new - just to give the engine the best possible chance in it's early life.

I will be observing the above - and no I won't be going for a spin at midnight!