Bye bye coupe...hello soft top!

nick1972

[ QUOTE ]

Slightly quicker than an E46 M3.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont tell porkies now JHT znaika.gif I was carrying a lot more on the way back from Italy (still have some of that beer wink.gif ) the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

feels and sounds far more raw though and a very different driving experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm must agree over the standard exhaust, but with a supersprint zorst it would be soooo much better 169144-ok.gif

As for the hairdressers comments then i will have to correct you AGAIN Chris P/JHT FIREdevil.gif Hairdressers drive MG's, Z3's... salon owners drive M3 cabs grin.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very very very practical reason for an M3 Conv....and I've just discovered it.

When I had by Coupe, getting the 2 year old into her lovely bucketed car seat in the back was hell. Fit yourself through the door with her, reach over, plonk her into it and then smack your head on the roof as you get out...

But...in the Conv....take her to the car...drop the roof!

Hey presto - easier access than a Renault Grand Espace!

I knew I'd find a reason for justifying the change to the wife...

[ QUOTE ]

So the obvious question is....why a CSL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeeasy tiger! laugh.gif

Here were the reasons I wanted to buy a CSL having already owned a couple of E46 M3's;

Wanted something fast - 190 mph top speed as mine is de-restricted. 169144-ok.gif

Something light with 50/50 weight ratio - front engined and rear wheel drive, in short excellent handling.

Something discreet yet exclusive, which is why I ordered mine in SB; there are around 30 only in Switzerland.

Something with good build quality. 169144-ok.gif

Something practical that could be used everyday - drove to work for four months daily, can also get shopping and four adults in, no probs.

Something I could also use in winter - have winter wheels and tyres and no worries getting up the mountains.

Not an Audi - everyone drives Audi around here, common as muck. wink.gif

Something reliable - 3 year/100,000km warranty should sort that! 169144-ok.gif

Good residuals - contrary to the U.K market with CSL's being very limited here they are holding their value well. Saying that, I'm not too fussed if my car drops in value, I wouldn't buy a car as an investment.

As for being brand blind, have a look in my gallery, I beg to differ. cool.gif

First things first - I respect everyone's view on why their car was the right choice for them.

But - looking at your gallery - it's not a matter of this having to be a daily drive for you is it! Fantastic collection of cars it has to be said.

I was looking at it from the point of view of it being the car I drive every day. My wife takes the 320d. I don't have a 4x4 or Grand Tourer like the Audi in reserve (as much as I would love to and the prospect of them on Swiss roads make me even more envious!). 169144-ok.gif

So, perhaps we can close the subject on the basis of the fact you'd choose a CSL and I'd choose a Noble GTO-3R. Both fantastic cars. I now know what you mean about a Noble possibly struggling where you are though - I didn't realise that before. cool.gif

I still prefer my M3 Conv though for the circumstances right now...after all, I've discovered it is even easier to get the 2 year old into it...

I agree on cars not being an investment too. However, I was making the point on the grounds that your "average" buyer would be interested in the amount his car is likely to loose when compared to another vehicle (no disrespect at all meant here but if you're not concerned about the money your car loses then surely you're not an average buyer! wink.gif).

As I said, love the car collection - isn't Switzerland the most anti-car society in which to have such a collection?!! FIREdevil.gif That makes it even better actually!

Not wishing to defend or praise Chris P but 'hairdresser' is common slang for 'cabriolet'. Dad seems insulted when I say something like 'oh, you have washed the tractor' to the extent where he has banned the expression! Anyway, whilst I would never purchase an open variant of a coupe myself I certainly understand why people do. Placing kiddies in the back is certainly much easier I imagine with no roof as you mention, good point!

Ian C