Driver's Car?

JaffaCake

It is purely a sales ploy designed by marketing departments. The advertisement will assemble all of the macho points that make up a real "driver" as opposed to someone who simply wants their car to go from A to B. They will then massage said persons ego so that they then have to rush out and buy the very vehicle that satisfies their "driver" needs in the same way as some people assume they are the "ultimate driving machine" then have to go out and buy one.

Marketing departments are there purely to generate a need for manufacturers products else we'd all be driving Skoda's and listening to the wireless for entertainment.

What constitutes a 'Drivers Car' will probably be different for everybody. IMO a drivers car is something that is a physical challenge and rewarding because if it.... There are some cars that are Very rewarding but all you have to do is point it in the right general direction not so much driving as guiding..

My old Landy was a drivers 'car' (off roader) in its choosen environment..banging about in the desert required some driver skill and was very fun... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Surley a drivers car would need to have a streering wheel of some kinsd and I'm guessing some pedals may come in handy.

Oh, and a seat may be helpful, possibly some sort of engine .......... blah blah blah.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confusing 'car that drives' with a 'drivers car' grin.gif

driver's car (dr!v~erz carr) n.

1. A marketing term to convince potential customers that the many failings of a particular vehicle are in fact both intentional and advantageous.

eg.

(a) poor, difficult handling

(b) uncomfortable, stiff suspension

© complete lack of traction

(d) complete lack of practicality

(e) ugly, skoda-like appearance

(f) missing fitments, such as no radio, air/con

(g) overpriced

See also:

bmw 1-series

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

driver's car (dr!v~erz carr) n.

1. A marketing term to convince potential customers that the many failings of a particular vehicle are in fact both intentional and advantageous.

eg.

(a) poor, difficult handling

(b) uncomfortable, stiff suspension

© complete lack of traction

(d) complete lack of practicality

(e) ugly, skoda-like appearance

(f) missing fitments, such as no radio, air/con

(g) overpriced

See also:

bmw 1-series

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Souns exactly like My old P1 then 169144-ok.gif

(save for the traction)

I think its a car that feels good when you feel that you are pushing 100%.

So many cars these days start to feel ragged the closer you get to really pushing the car and it just becomes a mess. This rules out most front wheel drive cars and quite a lot of four wheel drive. Rear wheel drive has a much better chance of getting to that 100% ideal but its not a for gone conclusion. The purity you get in not have a set of wheels doing two things as in FWD and 4WD really does make a big differenct IMO, roundabouts are just a flick rather than an understeering mess.

My only view on this is how the car feels to the driver. For example, the S3 is nice and fast but there's just not enough feedback from the car to the driver. For that reason, i wouldn't say that the S3 is a 'drivers car'. However, my old Saxo VTR was a superb 'drivers car'. The steering and chassis felt perfect and you always knew what the car was doing by the feedback and the car always felt firmly planted on the road. The fact that it squeeked and rattled kinda spoilt the ownership experience for me but overall, it's probably the best 'drivers car' i've owned so far and funnily enough, probably the cheapest!