VNC

Tomk

Ok can someone help me set this up ? i can use it at home on the network , but i dont know how to use it remotley, i want to be able to controll my home pc from work , but have not got a clue how to start ! i use a router at home for my ADSL if it makes any difference , and have static ip's anyone able to help ? oh also have a pda that would be cool to set it up though too

MMM Depends what you want to do to control it. Microsoft Netmeeting can be used to control a PC remotely as can some products from Norton etc.

You will probably have to open some ports up on your firewall to allow it, they will most likely reject any requests before you even get started.

I would try and do it between two local PCs on your network before you put the internet into place. After that it shouldn't be too hard to work out I don't think.

If you've got a fixed IP then, in theory, you should just be able to install VNC at source, and set it to accept incoming connections (password it though.. something complex), and then at work, as long as you don;t have firewall restrictions, just run the client, and ask it to connect to the IP. YOu sure you have a fixed IP though? Not a lot of ISP's offer this, as they usually use DHCP to assign addresses ad hoc.

Your PC will have a fixed IP from the DHCP on your router (probably 192.168.0.x), which is internal to your network. Your router will pick an IP up from your ISP which will unlikely be static, so will change everytime your router gets an connection from your ISP. In which case, you're better looking at an ap that runs independant of IP, and works through Messenger, or some other login based system.