What to look for when buying an 2002 E46 M3?

Mattpau

[ QUOTE ]

Bluetooth - something else I miss. I had this with a Sony Ericsson T610i and they don't do it on the Convertible. Hence I'm having to look at a third-party bluetooth fit or a holder for the phone (which I've now changed anyway). Really miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do... i had it on my cab!!

Have never had a car long enough to extend the warranty but i know of many that have! I think they will inspect the car and then charge you some amount to extend it by a year

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

How accomodating at the dealers - I drove a 330 as mentioned a few weeks ago - decided against it and told him I want an M3, but he wouldnt let me test one until he finds one that i want to buy!

Anyone else had this or have I got a bad one???

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a BMW dealer? I find it hard to think that dont have one already or even one within the group! confused.gif Seems very unaccomodating (sp?) and not what i would expect if buying an M3 znaika.gif

My dealer, Gatwick, have been very good at letting me try the M3's. I drove a manual and SMG back-to-back today to help me decide. Although it was a good test drive, about 12 miles, I was impressed with the SMG but I think you need several hours driving (if not days) to make a really informed decision - I'll probably stick with the manual. Has anyone noticed any difference in the exhaust note between manual and SMG as the 2 cars today were very different, the manual being a lot more raspy.

[ QUOTE ]

How accomodating at the dealers - I drove a 330 as mentioned a few weeks ago - decided against it and told him I want an M3, but he wouldnt let me test one until he finds one that i want to buy!

Anyone else had this or have I got a bad one???

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him you're going somewhere else to test one, he'll fall over himself to let you take a test!!

Esp with the way the used car market is at present.

Again, I agree with Lagoo - dump the dealer and find another one. Most have at least one M3 in and should be more than happy to let you drive it whenever you want to.

My dealer has been excellent and I can't really fault them (other than the above info that I can apparently have Bluetooth fitted!).

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding SMG v Manual exhaust note. I can't this being the case. I have noticed no difference in an SMG Conv to a Manual Coupe - other than the fact the exhaust is more audible because of the canvas roof on the SMG Conv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite agree that there should be no difference, but even the dealer commented. Could the noisier exhaust note be indicative of a problem?

Just remember that your in a buyers market, the economy at the moment is bloody slow to say the least and 30-40k cars are not shifting as quick as dealers would like. Hence on a 44k cab recently I got a dealer down to 39k (and it wasn't overpriced and underspecced in the 1st place) If you have the cash and are looking at 32k on the window, IMO I think you could haggle down to 28K fairly easily on a 25-30k mile car. On the spec, I wouldn't do without Sat-Nav, Bluetooth and Heated Seats (cab remember!) Also a small option but it's a good one, the centre armrest. Good luck.

Cheers guy - some really good advice - especially the fact that a sticker for 32k means I could pay under 30k!!! Just what I wanted to hear!!!

Gonna have a call round a few more dealers today and see if they'd let me drive one of theres to get a feel for the manual vs SMG - gonna blow out my current dealer - fairfield BMW near Southend, as mentioned before, they only want to give me a drive once they find one I actually want - not easy when they say that the only ones they have are the "sick" yellow!!!

Thanks again guys - must say, everyone seems to have some good advice in here!!!

Looking fwd to letting you all know how I get on. Will get some pics also as soon as I find one I like....

See ya gents!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding SMG v Manual exhaust note. I can't this being the case. I have noticed no difference in an SMG Conv to a Manual Coupe - other than the fact the exhaust is more audible because of the canvas roof on the SMG Conv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite agree that there should be no difference, but even the dealer commented. Could the noisier exhaust note be indicative of a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure the previous owner hasnt changed the exhaust! I had my standard exhaust taken off just because of the raspy/metallic noise! I bought the Supersprint rear box and centre section and the engine note dropped an octive so was a lot nicer!!

[ QUOTE ]

If i could spec mine again i would also have had the lumbar adjustment on the seats and the folding mirrors just for the novalty! beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if you're after a Girls car (Cab) ices_blah.gif or a Man's car Coupe sportifs2.gif?? I think the Coupe has better seats as standard, although that may not necessarily be the case on a 2002 model.

I think you've already been given good advice, my only disagreement would be to say that you should only pay for Sat Nav if you will use Sat Nav, NOT for residual purposes. You will end up paying £1,000 more for a Sat Nav car today and probably only get £500 of this back in a few years time.

Plenty of decent dealers around - if you can venture into Kent, Coopers BMW of Tunbridge Wells are very good (contact Andrew Matkins and tell him I sent you beerchug.gif).

Plenty of good cars around too - personally I'd pay the extra £1k or whatever to purchase from a dealer just for the extra piece of mind, but the warranty will be the same.

I'd have thought that £30k was top money for a Coupe if its on an 02 plate, unless its got huge spec, but I could be wrong (it happened once back in 1997). Possibly about right for a cab.

Don't rush into buying anything - investigate SMG vs manual properly, and get the car you want in the spec you want at the price you want. beerchug.gif

Best of Luck

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

Lagoo - Bluetooth - when you say it was on your cab was it a BMW factory fit or an after sales supplier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me thinks your dealer is giving you the run around znaika.gif

My bluetooth was factory fitted and exactly the same version as the bluetooth I had on my coupe. Don't let them bullshit you into thinking anything else. dung.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lagoo - Bluetooth - when you say it was on your cab was it a BMW factory fit or an after sales supplier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes indeed! factory fit with a rather nice holder incorporated into the tray by the handbrake! cool.gif

m3int.sized.jpg

can see just above the armrest and below the hazard light!