RNS-E For My A4

[ QUOTE ]

but I still think it is worth waiting for the TMC disc now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about that, definitely worth waiting for that instead, hopefully not long to go now (August/September the latest update I have).

Think my MP3 troubles were because my RNS-E was in the first batch of A4's to arrive in the UK with it, actually delayed my delivery by a week. Expect most people on here had the newer software on delivery.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Do you reckon that it's possible to borrow someone's 2005 DVD, do the software update and then go back to using a 2004 DVD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try my 2004 disc tonight and let you know.

Ironic that they updated lots of roads... yet haven't corrected the built in address for my Audi dealer (which changed several years ago)

I am about to ask satnavsystems to fit the RNS-E to my 1999 (pre facelift) S4. Has anyone tried this / did it work? Did satnavsystems do a decent job? They'll need to fit a new console cage too.

They tell me that the TMC works - which isn't quite true....does the new 2005 disk work?

Thanks

Yes - it is a B5 S4. They need to see the car to check it'll all work & see if they can get it to work in the instrument cluster. I did see somewhere someone had a bit of kit to deal with that. As I have the single din they need to fit a new cage, in which case they'll also need a new climate control bit...so i'll see what they say.Do you know who is was with the RS4? cheers.

I think the main problem with a pre 2000 car is lack of CANBUS for speed pulse, illumination etc, although you can get around this with an adaptor that changes all the signals to CAN (check on ebay). The dash DIS may not work correctly, or at all if you dont have CAN. Make sure you get a european A6 unit as that supports GALA signal and doesn't need can for the speed pulse.

Craig

blimey. i'm not sure satnavsystems is up to all that. i'm not too fussed if the dash DIS doesn't work, as it sounds like that would be a lot of extra work.

Does that mean if I have the Euro A6 version, it should work bar the dash DIS, or if I have the UK version, and the adaptor then I might get the display onto the DIS? Isn't my bigger problem that if i don't have CANBUS, i don't have speedpulse, and therefore have cruddy tracking? In which case I would need the adaptor in any case.

Damian.

You will need the Euro A6 version of the RNS-E and a basic adaptor, one that does switched live, illumination etc for CAN, you don't need the more expensive speed pulse to CAN BUS converter. DIS will not work unless your car has CAN for the display. Older ones have a clock/data signal and not CAN BUS. You may be lucky, but I very much doubt it.

This adaptor does speed pulse and illumination etc and is quite expensive...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38736&item=4544524877&rd=1

Here is a slightly cheaper version without speed pulse.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38736&item=4544524876&rd=1

I have just sold a european A6 RNS-E.

Craig

I would say that they are up to it, they installed the RNS-E in my A4 last week, really good job and the system is brill, especially the playing of music from the SD cards.

Currently looking at buying the digital tv option with 40 tv channels.

The RNS-E has a really good picture as well.

The lads from satnavsystems have said that there is no problem fitting the rns-e into a car with the single din(concert).

I am sure they are up to it electronics wise, but there is not a unit for the B5 S4, the A4 unit has very big gaps at the sides, and the a6 unit has smaller gaps but the bottom comes down over the Aircon unit, so you will have to shave something off either the bottom of the RNS-E or the top of the climate control unit to get it to fit.

I think you will need, new centre console with the alu trim along the top and cup holder rather than coin box and the gap for a symphony or CD nav+, new climate controls and a double din cage to hold it all.

I would search www.ebay.de for these parts and then get them to do the install, as new they are a few hunred quid, where as used you may be talking a few quid.

Been out testing my existing system (the pre-satnav+ one with the directions in the IC). The problem seems to be that it picks up nearby streets, within about a hundred yards. i've tried different disks, a new GPS antennae and new unit in the boot. Does anyone know if there is anything else to the system that can affect the location? Someone mentioned to that there is a box in the system somewhere that "clean's up" the GPS signal?

Otherwise it can build the route, track enough sattelites etc. (Its strangest thing is that when it crosses the meridien, it moves from 0.00 E to 141 degrees west , but i think that may be a bit of a red herring, as it still picks up local streets.)

Any help or thoughts much appreciated, as I've spent over a year trying to fix this! LAst ditch attempt before RNS-E.

Cheers.