Dashboard Rattle

dannymacca

Bought my new VW Polo a month or so back and since picking it up I have been constantly trying to find the REALLY ANNOYING rattle coming from somewhere on/in the dashboard.

Its an approved used car so comes with a full 1 year manufacturers warranty, am I in my rights to take it to them and demand they sort the rattle or so you think they will just laugh at me?

What would I base an argument on though if they claimed something 'small' like this doesn't have to be sorted? Something along the lines of the fact its not supposed to make a rattle?

I just dont want to turn up and then look a prat and them inform me that its not down to them to sort it!

VW cars are generally well put together so if you have a rattle from behind the dash it could point to a previous problem with the car. Take a good look at all the mounts, screws, bolts anything that holds the dash in place. It might be that it wasn't put back in properly. Don't forget, dealers will screw you as and when they can so don't believe a word they say. It might be worth checking the dealer stamps in the log book and giving them a call. They will know if the dash came out under warranty at any stage.

Good luck, I know these silly problems can spoil an otherwise great car. 169144-ok.gif

There's no real point in ringing them, I got a printout of all previous services and work from them to they're not going to admit to anything more than is on the sheet they have already given me.

I know for a fact the rattle wasn't theres on the test drive because I actually turned the stereo off to check, its not mega loud but just really annoying. Might go up and have a word, see what they offer.

Brainwave, have the alarm put in just before I can remember it starting! Might have to check that out!

Might do this over the weekend actually, have noticed the rattle is only evident exactly at 2000rpm, not a fraction over or under! Really dont know why this is, have had rattles in old car when stationary but cars vibrate a lot more when stationary so thats expected but at 2000rpm and nowhere else?

Plus, I dont think I'll have much luck anyway, since even looking at the car I've got the impression they look down on me since im only 18.

The thing to do is as I did with my previous car - speak to service manager and say that you had pointed this out during test drive ot the sales man and he said theyd fix it no problems, say it appeared fixed when collected but has recurred again - I have found quite often if you are as honest as their sales staff and nice with it then you can get a lot looked at.

Get it back to them. My wifes Polo 16V (2 years old) developed a really bad dashboard rattle/vibration, she didn't really notice it because it steadily got worse over several months, but it drove me mad every time I drove the car. The local dealer took it in and took 3 days to get it sorted as the whole dash had to be taken apart to find it. Get it fixed or else it will probably get worse as time goes on and you won't be able to stop noticing/thinking about it. frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i bought a 5 year old VW polo E SDI from a local approved VW dealer in N. Ireland, I am 18 and it seems that if you make yourself vocal in the show room (when customers are there) they will fix any rattle the car comes up with, (and trust me there have been a few). As long as you take the bull by the horns (and you still have your 12 months warrenty) VW should fix most problems free of charge, (P.S Edwin May Portadown have been 1st class with aftercare service)

Remember, you paid that bit extra for VW so you should get the quality you paid for.

Forgot about this post actually, went up and didn't have to kick up a fuss or anything. Working nights so took it up to a pre-arranged appointment at 8am and just left it with them, got a call at around 2pm and all was sorted, no questions asked!

Cheers for the advice guys!