Oil

LeeST

[ QUOTE ]

If you're on AVS like me, then Castrol SLX longlife II (OW-30) will do the job. (Mine's a 3.0, but think oil is the same)

Halfords stock it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of sounding like a plank.............AVS is?

AVS is variable service intervals. e.g. within 2 years or when the DIS tells you that a service is due.

usually works out at every 15-18K miles.

Using the wrong oil is not good, but especially so if it only gets changed every couple of years 169144-ok.gif

...or every few months if you do a lot of miles smashfreakB.gif

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

AVS is variable service intervals. e.g. within 2 years or when the DIS tells you that a service is due.

usually works out at every 15-18K miles.

Using the wrong oil is not good, but especially so if it only gets changed every couple of years 169144-ok.gif

...or every few months if you do a lot of miles smashfreakB.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Right i get you, I am on the AVS, although currently with the mileage/driving i am doing it is saying 344 days or 8000 miles. (thats what it said once it came up after servicing). Seems a bit poor that!!, although all my driving is mostly urban.

I have just got some oil you recommended from Halfords, it carries the VW number thing on the back so is fine. Bit steep @ £12 for a 1 litre bottle!!!.

Cheers mate anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

If you're on AVS like me, then Castrol SLX longlife II (OW-30) will do the job. ( Mine's a 3.0, but think oil is the same )

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Chav but SLX LonglifeII is only VW Spec 503.00

You should be using a 503.01 oil in the 3.0V6 on longlife service . Check your handbook.I think People get confused with the name of SLX LongLifeII (503.00). SLX is a higher grade oil (503.01) and can also be used on AVS. Hope this helps

beerchug.gif

Castrol SLX is a 503.01 oil 169144-ok.gif

FROM OILMAN

[ QUOTE ]

Here are the VW Specs and explanations:

Volkswagen Group Oil Specifications and their Applications

VW 500.00

This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)

Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40

This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01

This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as

VW 500.00.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00

This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00

This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.

Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01

A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.

Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00

For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)

Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01

For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.

Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00

For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01

For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]