Florida - Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa

NewNiceMrMe

Anyone stayed here??

Bit of a dilemma here see. We're booked up to go to the Bahama's in August but the wife has been trying to persuade me to change to go to Florida because our 13 year old won't appreciate it when she's older and our 2 year old is into all kinds of cartoon, Disney, cuddly character type things at the moment.

I have no problem with it other than I haven't heard of this resort.

It's 5 star and the agent says they've never had anything but praise about it, but I like first-hand opinion!

We can change if we do it before the end of next week, and I'll also get £1500 back too as it's cheaper - so that'd go nicely towards even more spending money etc.

Any thoughts?

Then its not the one I'm thinking of.

They were just completing one of the new themed resorts, and it looked awesome. it was only 3 or 4 stories tall though.

It was on the same lake as downtown disney, but opposite it. sorry cant remember the actual resort name.

looked cool though.

ok cool.

on that top pic, it looks like downtown disney with the crabhouse ship on the lake etc.

and where i've put cool bit, looks gorgeous in the evening.

i dont remember the tall building, but its ugly, so i guess i wouldn't.

downtown disney is where you'll want to chill in the evening, so its a good location. most buses run from there too to all the other parks.

434950-untitled.jpg

post-3588-137914309707_thumb.jpg

Change of location!

Been offered the Marriott World Resort for the same price because I've picked up a few gripes on the Wyndham Palace Resort via www.tripadvisor.com.

The Marriott World Resort is getting rave reviews though - sounds very good indeed. Set in 200 acres apparently, looks very nice.

Anyone got any experiences of it.

Pictures below:

ORL_MWCC-exter-1.jpg

Orlando.jpg

worldevent_marriott.jpg

jul04marriotts1.jpg

I'm off to Florida for 3 weeks from 11th August to beginning of September, say hello if you see me in the parks - I'll be the fat one with no hair, with three kids spending what little money I have left after paying for the holiday wink.gif

Can't even remember which hotel I'm in, we didn't have much choice as with three kids it's hard finding a room that will sleep 5.

One thing to remember, you can save a fair few quid by buying your park tickets from http://www.cheapest-park-tickets.co.uk/

We bought 5 of the 21 day Disney tickets and 5 of the 14 day Orlando tickets, came to about £1100, would have been nearly £2000 if we bought them through the travel agent.

just a tip from someone who used to spend over a month a year in florida...

If you have a large group of people / large family it is seriously worth considering hiring a car and renting a villa out there.

If you have 4 people it can often work out quite a bit cheaper and if you stay in one of the places closer to the disney area there is more people around at the communal pools etc for the kids.

Last time i went i got a 4 bed house, 2 bathroom, 2 sitting area, own pool and car hire for 2 weeks for £800. The price was for the place and not per person!

Just my .02 cents worth...

(oh and dont buy from the booths at side of road offering discount tickets - normally have to agree to a timeshare presentation)

Tip for restaurants too are the Bahama Breeze (great food and will always go back), outback steakhouse (fantastic ozzie food).

And if you really want to splash out get the kids into discovery cove to swim with the dolphins/sharks etc... Great place but book before you go and trust me it will be a great day!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm off to Florida for 3 weeks from 11th August to beginning of September, say hello if you see me in the parks - I'll be the fat one with no hair, with three kids spending what little money I have left after paying for the holiday wink.gif

Can't even remember which hotel I'm in, we didn't have much choice as with three kids it's hard finding a room that will sleep 5.

One thing to remember, you can save a fair few quid by buying your park tickets from http://www.cheapest-park-tickets.co.uk/

We bought 5 of the 21 day Disney tickets and 5 of the 14 day Orlando tickets, came to about £1100, would have been nearly £2000 if we bought them through the travel agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll be there from the 7th August!!! Two weeks.

I'll be the fat one that does have hair. You'll not have a problem noticing us. Just watching out for a 2 year old who runs everywhere at light speed, a 13 year old who you can never do enough for and a bloke being berated by his wife for no good reason at all.... grin.gif

I've been hunting around for the tickets for the parks too.

I have been told that I'm much better off waiting until we're there and buying locally for an even larger discount over the prices on the web.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

I've seen all the Disney Magic passes etc and the Orlando 4-5 park passes. We'd want to do Kennedy Space Center too (for me of course).

[ QUOTE ]

Last time i went i got a 4 bed house, 2 bathroom, 2 sitting area, own pool and car hire for 2 weeks for £800. The price was for the place and not per person!

[/ QUOTE ]

Feck me, how'd you manage that?

Including car hire, but not any of the passes yet, this has come to just over £4k so far, and that's a lot cheaper than our originally planned holiday was going to be.

We always suffer on the basis we only go in August so we end up paying peak time prices and also because the 13 year old now counts as a full adult price - and the 2 year old is out of the free child places offer parameters now too.

I've upgraded the car mind you. Naturally! 169144-ok.gif

not sure about august as always went at easter and september - easter is peak though!

I booked a friends place but at easter have to pay full rack rate... he has a place at Lake Davenport - it is around 15 - 20 mins drive to disney but over in the US you drive everywhere anyways. Car hire I admit was through a work corporate deal with avis (similar to the benefits you get with their bonus card so nothing too amazing and car was one of the smaller sizes).

Closer you get a place to disney the more the price will go up for a house but i will never stay in a hotel over there again.

Flights are always my problem... can never get any cheap ones for the times i want to go. blush.gif( Like flying virgin but dont want to pay prices so usually fly delta and take the ol sleeping tablets... tamazepam is the dogs esp when you get a screaming kiddy behind you!

As for flights find the best you can get then give the flight centre a call - they will match all prices (including web fares) and offer a decent service to boot.

personally would avoid airtours too... few years ago got flight for £111 to sanford - out i got a bulkhead seat in back row (the narrow row) and could only just fit - i am 11 stone and 5'8" - so defo not got a big ar$e! Also flight home was about 2 days late... blush.gif)

I didn't want to risk buying tickets over there, would prefer to know how much it's all costing me up front. So far, with park tickets, it's about £6500. That includes 3 week car hire (7 seater mini van, another draw back of having 5 people plus luggage!).

I thought about a villa, but we didn't want to be cleaning up after ourselves and even if there was a maid, we thought it would feel too much like a "home" and we'd end up slobbing out and watching TV. I actually prefer a basic hotel room, it makes you want to go out more.

I'm tempted with a drive down to Miami on one of the days we are there, but apparently it takes about 4 hours, so it probably won't happen.

take it easy on the speed too - got canned doing 73 in a 55 on a straight long empty road (except for police cruiser) - i seriusly could see for a couple of miles. He must have lasered me from that sort of distance. Aparrently he could have taken me away on the spot for 75...

Miami is pretty good but only really if you can stay over and make a night of it... (poss without kids tho)

I have always booked tickets before, but my inlaws reccon you can get excellent deals when you get out there.

You mentioned in the animal game your daughter wouldnt know what a Manatee is - well you can swim with them in Florida - on the endangered species list so you could introduce her to one - well worth it in my opinion.

Hi all. have done Orlando twice now and love it!! Last time we went was nov last year, if you have never been before trust me you will love it there!! Dont rate the Space centre though totally dissapointed!! Stayed at lake BV which is so much nicer than I Drive.

1st time we went we went with Virgin which to be honest is the only way to fly if going that far but in nov we booked it all through a company off the net and saved loads and brought tickets off the net also,

Oh if you like Italian food you must go to The Olive Garden on I Drive....... superb food!!

Can't remember the name of the hotel we're staying at, but it's at lake buena vista so that's good to hear smile.gif Still within a few miles of all the disney things and getting the hire car so we don't need to rely on buses etc.

I will try the Olive Garden smile.gif