Door mirror removal and replacement - help needed

misternomer

I had a bit of a prang in a country lane a few weeks ago and as a result my driver's side mirror is smashed to bits.

I have a fundamental problem parting with £250+ for a new one and wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Also - I can get the caps off pretty easily but the actuall mirror carcass is a pig to get off it's splines and I don't want to damage it. Do I have to remove door trim? I have that thing where the mirror gets stuck in so I'll need to reverse the helical gear when changing the mirror to fix the problem. Any hints on mirror body removal. There was a post on this problem elsewhere but the picture was pretty difficult to interpret. I sense I need to remove that circlip - but haven't gone there yet.

I have the winter pack on my car, which is a facelift '99 with auto-dim/heated etc.

Also - are plastic/chrome mirror caps any good - or are we generally avoiding them? What should I be paying for proper Alu ones and any hints on where to look?

Wow! So many question over a simple door mirror

TTFN

Flippin' 'eck !!!!

Not sure on the removal of the wing mirror assembly chap, I'm sure PaulW or Botang will be able to find something for us.

As for the plastic/Chrome mirror caps - I've got them on mine, and they look pretty good, I'm happy with them anyway, check my gallery for pics laugh.gif (they're cheap as chips too £62 169144-ok.gif )

Real ones will cost you about £250 EEK2.GIF

Your a little unclear as to whether you are replacing the entire mirror assembly or just the housing section with the motors in it, either way take the whole assembly off from the door to work on it cos theres some force involved in taking it apart.

You only have to remove the retaining circlip if you are separating the mirror housing from the triangular door trim, but watch out when and if you are gonna remove that clip! the spring stiffness is very high and you could have an eye out!( its a nightmare to get back in once you have turned the helical at the bottom for proper function of the retraction mech). 169144-ok.gif BTW there is a small motor where the two wires go, you'll have to remove that as well. Any way heres some picis and you have to remove the door trim on the inside similar to audi pages but there are a few more clips than the american models for some reason 169144-ok.gif

The link to other post about this:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/show...true#Post432185

post-5048-137914315323_thumb.jpg

Have done this myself. Not too much of a job just fiddly.

If replacing the whole unit then you will have to take the door trim off. There are 3 types of clips holding this on, as can be seen in the diagrma posted.

1. Take of the Wooden Trim effect. This is a brave one. Get something behind it and pull gently. There are 5 pop catches. These will come away with some gentle pressure. Once these are off you will see 4 differnt pop catches these push out. Be carfull not to push to hard as they drop down into the door otherwise.

2. Undo the 2 screws on the door panel. One is near the front of the door near the wing mirror, easy to see, the other is at the door piller on the side of the door where the lock is. This one gets missed all the time.

3. After that you need to remove the trim around the Door handle. Bottom part comes out first and then the top. This is tricky but can be done without to much damage. You will then see to Bolt Screws 10mm in the door. Once these are removed you can then take the panel off. It is held in with 13 different again pop studs around the panel trim.

You can then remove the internal plastic cover holding the wing mirror in place. Once off you will see one large bolt holding the unit in place. This is a 17mm alan key, I think. Disconnect the wing mirror cable feeding down into the door and the unit should then come out.

Install is the reverse of the above.

2 places to check for a new wing mirror is E-Bay. Saw one on there last night. Brand new with out cover or mirror, or you can try www.allaudi.com. They have a 4.2 in for breaking. I managed to get the passanger one off them for £60. It ame with the cover and the mirror.

Hope that this is of some use to you.

Best of luck.