Cancelling an order

I've recently ordered a facelifted A3 2.0T S-line for delivery in September...but since then have fallen for a 2.7 Boxster. Can someone advise me on my customer rights regarding the cancellation of the order and the fate of my £500 deposit?

If it's for September delivery, I would give it a try and cancel plus get the deposit back. They are no where near building it yet and September is a very busy time for them. I'm sure you could convince them that someone would be over the moon to get their car ready for a September 1st delivery.

Often in this case the deposit is just to secure the order and is fully refundable. Just go and ask them - tell them you are moving overseas rather than want a Porsche. If they know they are losing your business to a competitor, they will be much less helpful. Give them an excuse so they won't even try and convince you to keep the order. If you claim money troubles etc they'll just start talking about different finance deals/etc.

Or, you could say you have just got a new job with a company car (with no option to opt-out and take a car allowance). Something along those lines!