Sat Nav instalation for A4, 2005 Model

davide121

Hi there everyone, I am new to this website but have just purchased an A4 which is being delievered on Friday so thought id better join up as I wanted some advice...

I am getting an A4 1.8T Sline but went for leather instead of sat nav as I couldnt afford both. I just wondered if anyone here had any advice as to how i could fit a sat nav unit in myself as i really want that colour screen, I think it looks great integrated into the dashboard...I have seen a few units on ebay but wouldnt have a clue which is the correct one that fits my car or indeed how to fit it, would it just plug straight in?? any help you guys could offer me would be great!

Morning Davide, and let me be the first to welcome you to Tyresmoke.

169144-ok.gif

I'm no expert on the A4, but one of the regulars should be able to point you in the right direction. As for the sat nav options, I do know that a couple of R32 owners have added Sat Nav to their cars with the help of Sat nav systems. There is an Audi page there, hoepfully this too will help.

I take it the Sat Nav is being "saved" for?

Good luck with both the car & the fitting.

beerchug.gif

Davide

Been down this route myself. I went for a RNS-E (DVD based) It is great and well worth the money. I used Sat Nav Systems who did have a few problems because they tried to use a "new" wiring connector on mine. All soted by them so no real problem. Lots on here have done the job themself and I am sure will give you advice. My concern was just the ebay bit as I almost got fleeced.

Chap called Craig on here offers a fitting service and deff knows his stuff. Do a quick search on here for RNS-E and you will find all sorts of info and links.

Craigby - send him a PM depending on your setup and location he can install a DVD system for approx £1K

Buy from ebay is fine just make sure you get one complete with all leads and stuff (should pay around and equivilent £750 max)

Good luck these systems are amazing

does anybody know the impact if any retro fitting satnav might have on insurance?

just looked at satnav system prices, it makes you wonder how audi get away with charging over 2k for a system you can have fitted for 1.2K, could get satnav and TV for less than just satnav very impressed.

After my experience with ins - they will prob charge you more for it even though over the total cost of the car it is nothing.

I think the RNS-E is worth the money when you see what it can do. The units you buy are recon units (look brand new)so that is why you pay less. Have to admit next time I will spec one in the car.

I fitted the CD based nav system myself, came to about £500 for all bits. Found this website to be essential http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/ and also the nav+ forum may help (http://www.navplus.us/). I'd say go for it, get the RNS-E (DVD) if you can get one cheap enough as there alot easier to install and far more advanced. Any problems post on this forum and someone will be able to help out.

Good luck!!! beerchug.gif

Thanks for your help guys. Does anyone know which model I would need to buy as there seems to be many different ones on ebay. Also, If i bought the dvd based one is it litterally a case of taking out the symphony unit and plugging the sat nav in? any wiring needed?

I use a Parrot CK3100 (well 3300, but its thes ame thing). Works well, I get numbers and names in the display of teh parrot and works with every phone you can think of.

TV reception, unless you already have TV and are upgrading to DVD RNS-E I wouldn't even go there. A lot of work involved, 4 new antenna amps, diversity switcher and cabling + TV module. A big job even if you can get the parts.

If you just want an AUX video input for a DVD or PS2, then thats a lot easier to do.

Craigyb, are you able to still fit satnav even when my A4 has a Concert ll radio installed? thats the smaller radio so I think the climate control unit would need to be moved down to make room for the larger unit. I am happy to travel up to Manchester thats not a problem. How much extra is the aux video input? are they the connectors which go into the glove box?

Ok, you will need a cage fitting to take the Double din unit, that would be an extra £120 including the cage. Its a quite a big job to do compared to the NAV unit.

For an aux input were looking at around £200 (ish, maybe cheaper) that will give you an aux input which I can bring to the glove box for you.

Let me know, as I would have to order a cage and adaptor.

Craig

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all,

I've just bought an A4 cab with satnav+ and the Audi Handsfree. Does anyone know if the system is able to use voice commands. The manual says press the PTT button, but I can't find it..

Thanks

PaulM

[/ QUOTE ]

Last page of the Nav quick reference guide explains all the voice commands 169144-ok.gif

• 1 year later...

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all,

I've just bought an A4 cab with satnav+ and the Audi Handsfree. Does anyone know if the system is able to use voice commands. The manual says press the PTT button, but I can't find it..

Thanks

PaulM

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi do not enable PTT(voice commands) in a cabriolet, or so it seems. Probably because of the noise in the cabin, but there is no reason why you cannot have it enabled for the phone system, but not the Nav, if they will not enable the PTT for the phone, then there is no way you will have a voice enabled nav system in the cabriolet, in fact, there is not one available in the parts list.