The longest SPECS speed trap in the UK?

Milo

I must admit, SPECS cameras are probably much safer than GATSO or other "speed, slam on, speed up again" traps.

If they installed SPECS cameras at every motorway junction, they could do away with mobile cameras and ensure that nobody sped because people would know they would be caught.

Makes you wonder why they haven't already done this - couldn't be anything to do with the millions of lost revenue could it wink.gif

I have written several times asking for an explanation as to why Gatsos are used in roadworks "to protect workforce" when they only infact protect 100M of workforce, whereas Specs would in fact protect the entire length and thus provide 'safer' traffic speeds for the entire strech of roadworks and workforce. As yet I am still waiting for an aceptable responce.

Lets face it if it is really revenue then they would get more with SPECS anyway in roadworks as no films to load, longer stretch of road - safety is just mollox, but I would like to know the official answer.

Driving through the SPECS installation on the M1 yesterday, it was amazing to see how many ****ers just flew past. Did they not see the "Average Speed Cameras" sign plastered all over the place?

They'll soon know about it.

The lane changing trick never worked. It was a myth.

[ QUOTE ]

What happens if you fly through the first camera at high speed, drive on for 10 miles, stop for fuel, coffee etc. Then continue at high speed for the next 16 miles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from the fact tthat it appears that there are several cameras along the stretch. I though the same thing or what about people getting on/off the road. I can't imagine its 26 miles of 'unjunctioned' road!

Sometimes the cameras are "Zoned" to allow traffic to leave/join the motorway and therefore there are technically more than one trappable area.

If you stop for a drink along the way, most the times you drop off the system if it times-out on you.

Just a warning for those travelling between Guildford and Bracknell - The SPECS system has recently gone up on the A322 Lightwater bypass leading from the M3 to West End. A sure money-spinner as it is hard to see the cameras and this is a fast, tempting road!

That's our local testing ground ruined now then!

[ QUOTE ]

I have written several times asking for an explanation as to why Gatsos are used in roadworks "to protect workforce" when they only infact protect 100M of workforce, whereas Specs would in fact protect the entire length and thus provide 'safer' traffic speeds for the entire strech of roadworks and workforce. As yet I am still waiting for an aceptable responce.

Lets face it if it is really revenue then they would get more with SPECS anyway in roadworks as no films to load, longer stretch of road - safety is just mollox, but I would like to know the official answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for this on some roadworks is due to the way that the road is constantly changing. You have to be very clear about the exact distance and thus speed between each specs camera and they need to be set up to catch all three lanes.

Take the M60 roadworks as an example there are that many junctions involved and changes in the road almost every week with traffic flow a SPECs camera is not an option. Gatsos can be put in a small straight piece of tarmac and a few lines painted on no problem.

Answer by the way isn't mine, its from my Dad who until he retired has the background in managing many different sets of highway engineers. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just a warning for those travelling between Guildford and Bracknell - The SPECS system has recently gone up on the A322 Lightwater bypass leading from the M3 to West End. A sure money-spinner as it is hard to see the cameras and this is a fast, tempting road!

That's our local testing ground ruined now then!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a SPECS system, they're testing ANPR with them. It's on Pistonheads (thread something along the lines of SPECS on A322) along with a response from the local partnership. Apparently they will not be used for speeding.

I live about half a mile from there so this would be a major downer if they went back on this.

Another thing is that they span 2 speed limits. The first pole is in a 50 the secon a 70.