engine noise on starting the engine

thehappyone

Hi All

I have just brought a A4 (B6) 2.0 sport 2001 (Y). i have noticed that when i start the engine it makes a noise like a diesel for about 3 seconds and then seems fine.

Does anybody know what this is, Is this normal, is it expensive?

Any help would be great

thanks

thehappyone

My A3 1.8T sounds like a diesel when I start the engine and, like yours, it does go away. I think I saw a similar post before about the hydraulic lifters making the noise, not sure what they are but it was said it's not a problem. Although I mite be stood corrected by someone you knows more grin.gif

This is probably the oil taking a while to get to the hydraulic cam followers. These are self adjusting so shouldn't be a problem. I had these replaced on an A4 1.8T I used to own and they cost about £300 to replace (not main dealer!).

If your car is performing OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

HTH

beerchug.gif

cheers quick1 and MauveGecko. I was hoping this was normal. The car performs great,(not as well as my old 1.8T B5 though)

MauveGecko was your car making a noise after the parts were replaced.

Also i've noticed that you both have 1.8T engines has anybody had this on a B6 2.0 engine?

cheers

thehappyone

Hi,

That's weird, I thought the message I was reading was a reply to my own message that I posted a couple of months ago:

" I have just brought a A4 (B6) 2.0 sport 2001 (Y). i have noticed that when i start the engine it makes a noise like a diesel for about 3 seconds and then seems fine."

I bought a 2001 B6 A4 2.0 sport 2001 (Y) in Feb 2005. I have the diesel sounding noise. 3 seconds from cold start.

The dealer has had it a couple of times, I thought it didn't sound right and an Audi Tech confirmed it when he was fixing a different problem at the roadside. He wrote me a note telling the dealer that it needing looking at.

I had it in about a month ago and they thought it was caused by low oil pressure. They fitted a new oil pump (1K parts + VAT + labour), this didn't solve the problem.

They've had it back in and diagnosed (I may be a little bit out on this technical description) as crank-shaft tensioners. They've ordered the parts and it's going in tomorrow to get so they can fit it.

Someone else here also had that problem and the new tensioners fixed the problem. I'll post back tomorrow night and let you know.

Where abouts are you in the UK?

Mine has all been warranty so far.

Andrew

Hi All

Thanks andrew it would be great if you could let me know, It does sound like its the same problem. i have only had the car for about a week, i got it from a dealer (not audi dealer though) it came with a 6 month warranty which i have extented to two years (piece of mind and all that). So i hope that they honour the warranty and repair what is wrong (if anything is wrong)

I'm based in middlesex, where are you?

Cheers

thehappyone - or Marcus as its says on my V5.

I'm up north near Newcastle, bit too far for a compare and contrast!

I'll let you know once I get the car back.

It might be the crank-shaft tensioners or the cam-shaft tensioners, I'm not sure what I was told now. Somone who knows the difference might be able to tell you better.

Andrew

// Clueless about cars.

Got it back last night, service manager convinced everything is fine. Came home, let the car cool down for a couple of hours, went back out, problem is still there. I can also now here a blowing noise when I rev it, like there's an exhaust problem, it's coming from the middle of the car.

Anyone know if they would have been working on the exhaust to fit a new tensioner?

I'll have to take it back next week, I'm at the point now where I just think screw it, I'll put up with the noise, if it breaksdown it breaksdown. If I screw the engine I'll write of 10K as a bad investment and buy something else. I can't live my life taking a car in to the dealer every week. They're not even getting me a courtesy car now.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Sorry to here that they haven't sorted out the nosie. Maybe it is a normal starting noise of a 2.0 sport (even if it does sound sh1te) My car is going back to the dealer that i brought it from next week. They have said if it is a problem they will fix it (but we have all heard that before).

I'll post again if i find out more.

cheers

thehappyone

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally all resolved.

It went to the dealer two weeks ago, the couldn't rectify the problem (after they changed cam/crank shaft tensioners, oil-pump) so they contacted Audi Technical.

They suggested something (possibly a valve I think) on the crankshaft, it required the engine to be stripped to reach it.

Picked it up last night, and what a difference, the noise is gone, it now purrs like a kitten. There's also much better power delivery and it's much smoother and quieter when I'm driving.

It was all warranty so I'm not sure how much that would cost, as the engine has been taken apart I'm sure it would be mucho expensivo. It needed new gasktets (sp?) as apparently once the engine is taken apart the gaskets in are no good?

Sorry if this sounds totally wrong, I've no idea about cars, it's fixed now though and that's what they told me.

Andrew