Considering an 03 RS6

craigyb

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at an 03 RS6 with an MTM 500BHP upgrade. Is there anything I should be worried about when buying an RS6, besides the huge service bills, but I have an S8 so I'm used to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even huger service bills! Seriously, just ask your local Audi dealer how much a set of discs and pads are.

Talking of brakes, check the discs (fronts especially) for heavy grooving or cracking. Brake gently from about 30mph with the front windows down and listen for excessive squeal or 'grinding' noises that may indicate cracked discs or pads. The brakes are very effective, but can easily be cooked from overuse as the RS 6's brake bias is very forward, and it's a nose-heavy car.

Transmission: make sure to have a test drive and do some slow speed tests, in Tip mode in each gear let the revs fall to just avove the auto-changedown point (about 1200 rpm) and then gently accelerate away without hitting the kickdown, allowing the engine to have to labour a bit until after the turbos spool up at 1950 rpm. The acceleration should be smooth, with no jerks or thumps. Also try letting the car freewheel down from motorway speeds and let it downshift at low rpms, and again make sure there's no thumping or jerking. You should know what to expect in a normal gearbox from your S8, so you have an advantage from somebody coming from a stick.

I went from an S8 to an RS 6 and I loved it. The performance, the noise, the shove are all great. You may find (I did) that unless you have a really lead foot, the fuel economy might be better than the S8, as it's geared a lot higher and that big V8 is very lazy; it cruises in triple digits at half way to redline in 5th gear.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at an 03 RS6 with an MTM 500BHP upgrade. Is there anything I should be worried about when buying an RS6, besides the huge service bills, but I have an S8 so I'm used to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any event where you are meant to look serious or sombre, as you'll be unable to remove the grin from your face 169144-ok.gif

Aside from the brake problems, another thing to look for is grinding from the power steering at low speeds. Usually easy to remedy by topping up the PAS fluid but may lead to problems if it has been ignored for a long time.

Possibly a relatively minor point but the CD changer can be temperamental and fail to read all the discs. Of course, you may be considering doing your own ICE system...

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Not far from you actually, Northampton Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guessed you may have done as that was the lowest mileage 04 RS6 in the country. I work a couple of miles away from the Dealership and kept looking at the car when I drove by.

Our car's will be twins then, Mine was a year old and had less than 2000 miles when I bought it.

Everybody better wear their sunglasses at the next MK meet, it will be a bright evening if we both turn up.

Congratulations, you will love it 169144-ok.gif

Cheers

Steve

[ QUOTE ]

Derby to MK wouldn't be too much of a struggle for you, we have a visitor from Worksop last night. Then we could out number the 8's with a line of 3 red RS6's

[/ QUOTE ]

Im actually supposed to be based out of MK with the current contract im on.

I think they meant MK, Prague fekr.gif

Seriously tho i used to commute it, only takes 45mins.

When you getting a miltek on then? Im waiting on my system and cats at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Got my RS6 yesterday, very pleased, but the satnav is defective, no satelites received. So need that fixing before I can proceed with an RNS-E upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough, that was exactly the same problem I had when I picked my car up. (and it was a red car EEK2.GIF)

The Dealer replaced the receiver/ariel.

I hope you are enjoying the car other than that 169144-ok.gif