MAF Problems on a PD TDI Engine

Wobby

Hot or Not  

1. 1. Hot or Not

VW generally recognise that there are problems with all MAFs across their range, which is why they will replace it no questions asked as long as the car is within warranty and has not been modified (i.e. alternative air filter like K&N).

It's a problem that's not going to go away frown.gif which is why I carry a spare for that time at 4am on a Sunday when you are on a road in the middle of nowhere and the nearest stealer doesn't open until after the bank holiday monday...

ECLIPSe.gif

Only a total failure and setting of a fault code will need resetting. Many mafs fail to the point that the owner knows something is wrong and the dealer denies it 'cos "There's no fault code showing on the diagnostics computer!" However, changing the maf for a known good one restores the lost power, and no reset is necessary.

[ QUOTE ]

According to VW you need to do a reset, otherwise the ECU is compensating for a knackered MAF.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the ECU was compensating for a knackered MAF then it would have to have some how stored the previous MAFs data!! I didn't think it worked like that?

I thought it just took an instant reading at the moment it was doing the calculation for fuel? I will be changing my MAF in the near future.

RobK

[ QUOTE ]

TIAN!!!!

You cant vote, its VW only smile.gif

Anyway i doubt if Volvos even have a MAF, i mean, they dont even have an off switch for the side lights

RobK

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful what you say NONO3.GIF

What engine did they use in a lot of Volve diesels?

The good old audi 5 cylinder tdi lump! 169144-ok.gif

But Tians is a petrol, so he cant vote!! He can if he wants really. beerchug.gif

I have just done some MAF readings on a Skoda Fabia VRS, its 130 PD TDI with 6k on it. Its maximum MAF reading was around 850 with one strange reading up to 975.

When i tested mine (Passat PD 130 with 140k) it had regular readings of 1200. Why the differance? Does anybody know whats normal on VAG COM?

I cleaned my MAF and my reduced MPG returned to normal, but after 2 days it back low on the MPG. I had a journey with the MAF unplugged and it drives rubbish with no power. When i checked the engine module i had a MAF fault logged (expected). What i didn't expect was to reset it, have a drive and find it back with the same fault!! Going to exchange MAFS when i get a chance.

RobK

My experience was totaly diferent.It seems to me that I had a problem with MAF (Passat tdi pd 85kw).Wrong!!!

I spent a lot of days to find a reasons why my passat have a problem with a power.Reason was so trivial-el cable on 1'st valve was cut!!!Next problem is that I had to replace it (need to open the engine cover becouse the cable goes throght the engine).After that my passat flying.

Just for the information:

MAF is the part which it has to be replaced on 100000km.

VW made it only for replacing (not to clean it or something else).

Best regards to all of you.

PS Sorry, my English isn't so god.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

IS there a specified milage to replace a MAF? Never seen there was. Anybody?

RobK

[/ QUOTE ]

No there's not, because it is an electronic device. If the car's under warranty it will be a no cost replacement. If not, it is about £70 plus fitting, unless you do it yourself - it's a 10 minute job.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

According to VW you need to do a reset, otherwise the ECU is compensating for a knackered MAF.

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif Bullbuttcheeks.gifshite yelrotflmao.gif

Which dealer that told you that! I bet it was "Corkkills VW" they area very poor dealer (bottom 20 for customer satifation)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in summary, if you dont do a reset with a new MAF installed, which values will the ECU use?

The ECU always relies on what the maf tells it, whether it's right or wrong. If there's no maf to read from (disconnected) it then reverts to it's guesstimate values. When you change a failed maf, it reads correctly without a reset, but if it set a fault code when it failed, this will still be in the ECU memory, and will need clearing at some point. This does not affect the reading between the ecu and the maf, it's merely an indicator that there has been (or still is) a fault, which may prompt the dealers to replace and charge you for a new maf again next time they service your car.

Thanks for an informative post Rusty. 169144-ok.gif

Surely that means that Mulkbear's very mature response is not right?

Don't worry about it - from previous posts he'd made, I won't be going near any VW dealers in the Newcastle area, in case he's working at one of them.

I am right because as the o'holy one when it comes to sooty's(rusty nuts bowdown.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

When you change a failed maf, it reads correctly without a reset,

[/ QUOTE ]

So there is no need to reset the fault memory, and no need to pay a stealer 1/2 hours labour for the fault memorys reset