New Car - Non Metallic

chrisan

Planning ahead for car in my signature, it is non metallic, brilliant red. After reading many posts on this forum, I've come up with the following.

How does this little lot sound:

Lambswool wash mitt

Lambswool polish mitt

Megs NXT Gen Car Wash

Autoglym SRP (is there a megs alternative here?)

Megs NXT Tech Wax

P21s Carnauba Wax

Megs Endurance High Gloss Tyre Protection Gel

I'm really not sure if I need polish and wax on a new car - is it necessary?

Cheers,

Chris

You have three waxes there as SRP is mostly wax and very little polish. It's more of a cleaner.

If you keep your car waxed you hardly ever need to polish, so get a paint cleaner instead.

P21s if fantastic, probably the best wax there is, but you may as well stick to one system and you are hard pushed to find a better one than NXT, although p21s to a system if you can get it.

The first time I cleaned my Astra I did the following.

Washed with Gold Class

Clayed with Sonus clay

Hand polish using Poorboys pro polish (v v light)

Sealed with Carlack 68

Topped with 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection

I was pretty lucky, in that the garage didn't do any real damage to the paint - only very light swirling to the rear bumper and roof.

Funnily enough, my colleague had an Astra from the same place a month ago in darker silver metallic and the entire car was swirled to death - he doesn't give a toss about washing (and hasn't yet washed since delivery) but even he noticed the marks!

I'll probably get flamed for this but I really don't think a new car needs machine polishing - mine has a few light swirls (that's why I chose silver - I mean I enjoy cleaning but I do have a life too) but it's a 3.5k a month co car.

Quite honestly, if I was ever asked to accept a brand new car with any swirling to the paint, I'd reject it (if it was my own money) as new paint should be pristine - and before anyone jumps on me, I have a couple of clients who handle brand new car delivery & storage so I've seen cars fresh from their wrapping so to speak, before anyone's cleaned anything from them at all and the paint is to my eye at least flawless (Merc & Porsche).

I'm sure the pro's here will however have plenty of horror stories to tell!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the pro's here will however have plenty of horror stories to tell!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah! Especially rover and Vauxhall - but thats going back a while.

Most companies do not machine polish new cars. This means the paintwork is kinda raw. When the paint is sprayed on it lands where it falls and is actually a fairly rough survace when seen under a microscope. A machine polish can make it shinier than new. but you are probably right, they don't NEED it. Factory finish is good enough for most people.