Hiding your mobile no

Mollox

Need to make a call but I really don't want someone having my number or ever calling me.

I thought you just added a 1471 prefix to a number (or in the case of all the nokias I've had, turn own number broadcast off).

Just tried this on my Vodafone Blackberry and I got some kind of Vodafone voicemail service smashfreakB.gif

How do you do it and can the other person definitely, definitely not get my number?

Will it say "private number calling"?

Ta smile.gif

Your number is always stored and is always traceable. Try dialling 999 (actually, that's not a good idea, just take my word for it) and they'll know your number as they'll pass it on when they connect you.

A female relative of mine was being harrassed over the phone and was receiving nuisance calls in the middle of the night every night, with heavy breathing etc. 1471 gave "number withheld". So she called BT, said she was getting harrassed but they were withholding the number. The operator just said "no problem, here's the number that they are calling you from" and proceeded to give her the mobile number of her ex. She called him up, said she knew it was him, and the calls stopped.

So - no it's NOT possible to completely hide your number from the end user. If they really want to find you, they can, and very easily.

Also, http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ might be worth a look if you are thinking about some kind of commercial based cold-calling. BT have just launched a big ad campaign called "BT Privacy" which basically gives you caller-ID and automatically signs you up with TPS, so it won't be long before unsolicited cold calling is completely wiped out.

If you just want to make anonymous calls, the simplest way to do this is take out a second mobile, or fixed line, which you use purely for outgoing calls. Disable the ringer or just ignore any incoming calls. Use a pay as you go mobile and it becomes very hard to track you down.

Yeah, it's not possible to hide it completely. Here's how it works.

Mobile phones communicate with cell stations and cell stations communicate with other phones (you are point A, cell station is point 0 and the one that calls you is point B ).

When B calls you it actually calls the closest cell station (0) which then "reads" the configuration file on that mobile and links up to you (A).

If point B has asked for number blocking in the sim card or the phone menu, then you will not see the number (CLIP, call line intentification protocol).

BUT... if you call your service provider and ask for "malicious calls protocol" they will "LIFT" the point B limitations and give you the number directly from cell station 0! On every call!!!

So the PAYG option is the easiest way to be anonymous (as much as possible).

Oh, and I'm not a smart arse. I asked this very question on a mobile phone forum, and this was the answer I was given. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not possible to hide it completely. Here's how it works.

Mobile phones communicate with cell stations and cell stations communicate with other phones (you are point A, cell station is point 0 and the one that calls you is point B ).

When B calls you it actually calls the closest cell station (0) which then "reads" the configuration file on that mobile and links up to you (A).

If point B has asked for number blocking in the sim card or the phone menu, then you will not see the number (CLIP, call line intentification protocol).

BUT... if you call your service provider and ask for "malicious calls protocol" they will "LIFT" the point B limitations and give you the number directly from cell station 0! On every call!!!

So the PAYG option is the easiest way to be anonymous (as much as possible).

Oh, and I'm not a smart arse. I asked this very question on a mobile phone forum, and this was the answer I was given. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take two parts truth, add one part blagging, stir and serve with strawberries.

Number is passed right the way through the network, but there's a lot of register lookups and switching involved too. - CLI is flagged as withheld, so wouldn't be shown on the recipient line, unless their network registry stated that CLI status was to be "Over-ridden" on incoming calls.

Can't be bothered to go through it all, and it's not important.

Plus, the sun is shining, and I'm taking my beautiful woman out on the bike! Ciao. bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A female relative of mine was being harrassed over the phone and was receiving nuisance calls in the middle of the night every night, with heavy breathing etc. 1471 gave "number withheld". So she called BT, said she was getting harrassed but they were withholding the number. The operator just said "no problem, here's the number that they are calling you from" and proceeded to give her the mobile number of her ex. She called him up, said she knew it was him, and the calls stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif are you sure ? last year the gf's mum was getting dodgy calls - we spoke to BT and it certainly wasn't a case of 'here's the number thats been calling you'. It was a very long process with BT's malicious calls bureau, which if serious enough gets handed over to the Police.

All the BT operator could do for her is stop her number accepting withheld incoming calls.

[ QUOTE ]

confused.gif are you sure ? last year the gf's mum was getting dodgy calls - we spoke to BT and it certainly wasn't a case of 'here's the number thats been calling you'. It was a very long process with BT's malicious calls bureau, which if serious enough gets handed over to the Police.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was going back probably 6 years, perhaps things have changed.