Hard wiring Tomtom Go power

Complete novice so please bear with me

I want to hard wire my Tomtom Go power adapter

I assume the best way would be to connect to the power off the back of the radio ?

Any advice or Instructions on how to do this appreciated

Thanks

Denim

I'm not sure how you go about doing this, but the forums at My TomTom are a good start....

Just be very careful - as the supply to the unit is not 12v - the 'plug' on the car supply ramps the voltage down. Someone on the forum fried their Go by cutting the plug off and hardwiring the unit to the stereo power supply EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

That's how I did mine, I used a cigarette lighter socket and hard-wired that behind the dash. I picked it up from Maplin for about a pound. Have a look HERE for some pics of the finished article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant 169144-ok.gif

As a total novice I want to connect to the stereo power

How do i do this ?

Without wanting to sound patronising - you pull the stereo out, find the power lead, and connect to it!

Make sure you connect to the ignition switched supply and not the permanent feed, as you'll want the TomTom to power on and off when you switch the car on and off, not stay on and charge permanently.

Be careful though - it's very easy to blow a fuse or damage the car electronics. If you are a total novice, which you've said yourself that you are, you might do better paying somebody to run the power cables for you (like a local car stereo shop). Hard-writing equipment in a car is not hard, but if something goes wrong you could end up paying £££ for somebody else to fix it. You have to weigh up how much you'll save by doing it yourself and your confidence in carrying out the project, against how much it would just cost for somebody else to do it for you.