At the risk of incurring the wrath.

bike.thumb.gif

Sorry guys, I am a lover of gadgets and have many things that I really do not need. I also appreciate that a factory fit sat nav is a great thing. My question is. How many times do we really need a £400 + unit to tell us how to get somwhere? Perhaps I miss the point however multimap does it for me every time. Sorry guys, I had to say it. bike.thumb.gif

No problem, if you're happy with multimap and reading whilst driving (which is illegal), good on you!

On the other hand I like he ability to type in a destination, and have a unit speak to me and tell me which way to go with nice pictures. If I take a wrong turn it tells me. If a road is closed I can route round it. I can drive wherever I like, NEVER get lost, know what is lurking round a blind corner at night (I can see hidden junctions on my satnav screen). It tells me where the nearest petrol station is when I'm in the middle of nowhere, or the nearest car park, or the nearest (insert any POI you feel like). If I am out and receive a phone call telling me to go somewhere, I don't need to come home, log on to the internet, print directions, then drive back to where I was.

When I'm in the car with the family and we fancy going to a national park, there are no arguments about getting lost.

GPS is about peace of mind and comfort.

It's the same reason I drive a £35,000 car instead of a £5,000 car - they both "do the same thing", but one does it SO much better than the other.

See your poin completely, never really saw the use in it either, till i was in dads freelander (with Nav) got a hook up that there was a pileup on the motorway in front of me, so took the next exit, no idea where i was, and it cunningly mad me a route past the jam, without me needing to stop and read a map.

Its pointless most of the time, but can be a joy on the rare occasion you need it.

must admit my sence of direction is great and i usally manage were ever im going in the country by writing on teh back of my hand BUT the sat nav is great for when you find a motoway closed in the middle of the night .... and you have NO map ( this happened to me last week ) or when you need a petrol station asap ! also points to were all the speed cameras are !

My sense of direction is crap so I have wanted SatNav for some time, now I have it amazed at the amount of stress it removes from even every day driving eg today was going to place I have been to about twice a year for 10 years so I know the way really but so much easier not to have to worry that am heading in correct direction etc. - bit like A/C, electric windows/mirrors, rain sensing wipers, mobile phones etc. etc. not necessary but does make life so much easier...