Just so you know

helfinger

i was having a very long chat with one of my mates who's company does a lot of accident and repairs for aston martin / ferrari etc and some main stream body repairs. He told me that the new MK5 golf is not a patch on the mk4 the build quality on the mk4 is so much better than the current mk5 golfs.

He has not been impressed at all with the quality of the metal used and the way parts fit together...so now you know, cost cutting strikes again!!!!! If any of you are thinking of changing to either a mk5 gti or the cough cough new r32 then i would say you are better sticking to what you have got....especially if the new r32 is still going to be a 3.2L with an amazing 10BHP more!!!!!!!! 169144-ok.gif

Stories like this are convincing me to stay put and keep the .:R and not head into MkV Golf territory next year (or any other new car). The old saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to suggest that I'm not going to change cars next Spring as originally planned!! znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Stories like this are convincing me to stay put and keep the .:R and not head into MkV Golf territory next year (or any other new car). The old saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to suggest that I'm not going to change cars next Spring as originally planned!! znaika.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth I don't blame you. I love the look of the R. When you see one on the road it stands out a mile without looking tacky. Hang on to the R. 169144-ok.gif

DaddyDub - yes the build quality is good but the gaps between the panels are wider than on my Mk4 and subsequently doesn't look as well put together. And what is it with VW and the thin paint they apply. So easy to scratch a new car these days. I know its probably something to do with the new water based paint but can't they seal it a bit better.

Fair point but I didn't have my MK 5 at the same time as my MK 4 so didn't get a chance to compare them. As far as im aware, the paints used haven't been changed from 4 - 5 a figure that comes to mind from discussions with VW B/Shops is 80 (whatever the measurement is) thick minimum which is the same for Audi and pretty standard these days. Please correct me if im wrong though.