Speaking making a humming noise

Hi

Just brought myself an Audi S3 recently and everything was sounding fine. Then two days ago I noticed that my rear passenger side speaker was making a humming noise. confused.gif

The humming noise seems to be getting louder as the car gets faster!

Also as well as the humming noise, the speaker seems to be making a slight beeping noise at times. frown.gif

If I put the volume up then the noise fades out and the speaker sounds fine.

On top of all this, the humming noise just randomly stops at times! shocked.gif

Just wandering if anyone had any ideas?

Could the speaker be blown?

As you can tell, I am new to the ICE world!

It won't be a blown speaker, they just sound distorted and quiet and definitely would not sound better at higher volume.

Is the stereo the standard S3 one or does it look like it's had an "aftermarket" upgrade?

I wonder if perhaps the previous owner has fitted something like a mobile phone kit and left it in the vehicle, and not done a very good job with it. Could also be a faulty amp. Unfortunately it could be lots of different things - unless it's a common fault that somebody else has experienced.

I'm guessing it was a private purchase rather than from a dealer - as if from a dealer you'd probably have some kind of warranty on it.

Its the standard S3 concert stereo..

I dont think its an aftermarket upgrade...everything looks pretty standard..

About the mobile phone kit.....I was just wandering if perhaps the stereo is getting interference from my mobile..

I always keep my mobile in middle of the dash (just under the stereo)...does anyone know if the mobile phone signals tend to interfere with the stereo? But then why would only the rear passenger speaker be affected... confused.gif

The amp may be one place to look........perhaps thats why I am getting the beeping noise?? sportifs2.gif

Mobile phones can definitely cause interference, some are worse than others, but I've never experienced it in an Audi.

Very simple way to test it - turn your stereo down until and call your mobile from your home phone. See if the beeping and buzzing occurs. Move the mobile phone away from the stereo and see if it changes, then switch the mobile off and again see if there is any difference.

It's possible the earth isn't connected properly on that one speaker and that might be why it's picking up the interference? I would have thought the Audi would be well screened against that kind of noise.

I will try the mobile out tonight. To be honest I have only had the mobile one week and so got a feeling it could be the cause smirk.gif

On the other hand you might be right about the earth wire....prob why it tends to whine more as the car picks up speed...

Will give it a go tonight and will let you know...

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Well tried the mobile phone trick last night and no luck....

Heard the humming noise again this morning and both mine and my wifes phones were off..

Then half way through the journey it just stops! confused.gif

Could it be a lose earth wire then? If so wheres the best place to look?

Still getting the beeping noise as well?

Could it have anything to do with amp/sub?

I need my music to wake me up on the way to work! SLEEP5.GIF

Thanks will keep that in mind.

169144-ok.gif

To be honest, heard it earlier on the way back from work and so took the old fashion route:

Got out of the car, walked round to the rear passenger speaker and began to give the panel around the speaker a good old bashing... sportifs2.gif

Seemed to have done the trick, was driving the car for about 30mins after and did not hear it again! grin.gif

Thanks guys