Milltek Exhaust

allanon_1980

I run a full Milltek including sports cats on my R32 and my local dealer has never bitched about it for warranty work. It does depend on your dealer, so check first. If your local one won't do warranty work, then try to find another one that will.

The Milltek without sports cats releases about an extra 9 or 10 bhp on the R32, so you should reckon on about 7 or 8 bhp on the GTI Turbo.

HTH

beerchug.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had EXACTLY the same question. Although I haven't got my GTI yet I remember that she was a bit quiet on my test drive. I'm used to the sweet sound of a BMW straight-six (and V8s when in America) so with nothing better to do I got to thinking that I might improve the GTI sound but didn't want to ramp up the bhp by major chipping/remapping etc. Also I didn't want the boy-racer-wake-up-the-neighbours type of sound. Being able to enjoy hearing a healthy sporty engine at work but quiet enough not to spoil audio music on a motorway is what I need.

The right hand drive GTIs are quieter than LHD because of physical layout....we need to compensate. Plus that extra wee bit of what +8bhp brings doesn't compromise the handling without further modifications.

I researched it a bit and listened to others with more experience and decided that Milltek were among the very best for exhausts. Spoke with them this morning and their non-resonated catback giving just 8-10bhp extra and just a subtle change of performance is the way to go for me and it seems you want exactly the same. Milltek are VERY friendly and helpful and have a well established good reputation. AMD could fit it (I'm no mechanic).

MauveGecko's post backs this up. Milltek are #1 I reckon.

http://www.millteksport.com

[ QUOTE ]

ya ive mine ordered should be here fri fitted monday so ill leave you know one thing though spoke to pete withers at milltek he advised against non resonated as there will be droning at motor way speeds

[/ QUOTE ]

...Huh ?! I spoke with the same Pete Withers of Milltek this morning (26th), following email from him, and we discussed the options in detail and my understanding was non-resonated catback was louder but that Milltek products did NOT drone at motorway speeds like some other manufacturer's.

I'll phone him tomorrow (Wednesday) and clear it up and report. What's your real name as he would know it please ? Send it to me at Tyresmoke in a Private Message if you prefer.

Robin (Procter)

Sorry Barry, I forgot to answer your warranty question....

I don't know the definitive answer but I'm told by many, including Milltek who are well known by VW UK, that there has never yet been any problem due to a Milltek product which has consequently trashed the warranty. However it's obviously a good idea to get something in writing from your stealer-dealer if you can.

It's something that I'm looking into as well but the stealer knows diddly-squat and VW UK's phones are constantly engaged!

Perhaps we could both report our eventual findings back here.

[ QUOTE ]

ya ive mine ordered should be here fri fitted monday so ill leave you know one thing though spoke to pete withers at milltek he advised against non resonated as there will be droning at motor way speeds

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Barry,

I now spoke to John @ Milltek and you were right and either I misunderstood Pete Withers or he unintentionally misinformed me (it's now academic).

So, Milltek's Non-Res Catback = BoyRacer noise (louder) + M'way drone

and Resonated Catback = Throaty/Sporty sound + Quiet M'way cruisin'.

Res system is more expensive and difference in performance between the two is barely 1bhp if at all which depends on the car's individual characteristics.

I'm still investigating any consequential VW warranty issue and will report here.

Cheers,

Robin

Barry, and anyone else interested in VW warranties,

Managed at last to get through to VW UK (had to use an inside number!)....Warranty is ONLY effected IF the non-VW part (Milltek in this case) is found to cause the problem. In other words, any problem NOT caused by Milltek's product and A.N.Other's fitting will be fixed under VW Warranty.

So, ONLY use third-parties with an excellent reputation such as Milltek and AMD and who give their own guarantees.

Sounds fair enough to me smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just another piece of info and plug for Milltek and AMD:

Milltek product warranty for life.

AMD fitting warranty for 12 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is how long.... as that means the life of the product, ie 5 years, 10 years etc!!

.... mabye it means forever but I dobut it smile.gif

I think you are splitting hairs....Obviously it means for the life of the product....As always it's a guarantee or warranty against faults occurring during the product's lifetime and such terms are established and never mean anything else....I won't write it in legal language for you.

Either way warranties don't come much better than within such terms known as "Lifetime Guarantee".

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit fiery but I am midst kicking my stealer into getting his act together over tracking the exact whereabouts of my car right now.

[ QUOTE ]

I was just getting my dealer to check something about my car and there systems are down apparently !

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you posting your info for me in the wrong thread? I only need to know which dealer (name - I'm assuming fully VW authorised) please so that I can educate mine for everyone's advantage.

Thanx

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are splitting hairs....Obviously it means for the life of the product....As always it's a guarantee or warranty against faults occurring during the product's lifetime and such terms are established and never mean anything else....I won't write it in legal language for you.

Either way warranties don't come much better than within such terms known as "Lifetime Guarantee".

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit fiery but I am midst kicking my stealer into getting his act together over tracking the exact whereabouts of my car right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was merely elaborating as quite a few people get caught out by this and think it means forever or longer than they could think of.

With some products this can be as short as one or two years, which is a big con if offering a 'lifetime' warranty for 2 years.

I buy products from a compnay in the USA who offer a 1000 year gaurantee.... as they feel it adequately implies they'll replace the product no matter how long down the line you own it.

I don't doubt the Miltek will last a while and their Lifetime Gaurantee is fairly solid, but its best not to think that it will last for a long time.... and if you're not the orginal purchaser of the item quite a few warranties cease to be valid.

169144-ok.gifgrin.gif169144-ok.gif

How come the dealer doesn't know where you cars is ?? Salp them about some mroe, they obviously need it!!

Sorry SixDegrees....I realise I was a bit harsh. You are quite right about what lifetime means in the way you have now described it. All I was on about was my opinion that Milltek have a great product which they are prepared to back.

BTW I like your avatar !

Yep I'm in my stealer's face tomorrow, calm but firm....the customer is always right. But all I want is my beloved GTI....I've got several long distance invitations to meet and ain't going in any other car cos the opportunities are too good: From West Dorset to Cornwall and to Oxford and to Brighton are all great roads to get to know my GTI.