strut bars

schmoo

A strut bar stops the suspension turrets in a car moving together therefore keeping a more consistent suspension geometry.

I've not got any real experience bar driving two Fiesta Zetec-S's, one with a strut brace and slightly larger wheels, the other completely stock standard.

On a billiard table smooth surface the strut brace equiped car would have corner perhaps fractionally better, but it had a habit to skip over bumps and push towards understeer much sooner than the standard car on poor surfaces.

Generally most people just fit them for show, to look like a racing car, and unless the cars suspension setup is designed around it being there it could even have a negative effect.

I put one on my old peugeot 205, and it sharpened up the handling considerably - much less roll in cornering and better straight line stability. Interestingly we had to jack up the car to "unflex" the body to make the turret screws fit in the holes in the brace, as teh car had doen 100k miles and was a little saggy!

I also think that the strut brace compensated for the sloppy worn suspension which once I replaced springs, dampers, bushes etc, handling was even better!

I have one on my R32 just for looks more than anything to give an even better flavour to the engine bay when the bonnet is up showing all my chav/barry boy mates grin.gif

Seriously though, if it improves the suspension geometry then thats a bonus but i got it for aesthetics not ergonomics.