Fault code 15711 lambda sensor

Rusty

Hi guys,

can anyone help

One of my mates owns a VW polo 1.6 16V Gti(2000) and he's been complaining about getting a nasty smell of petrol on occasions. I connected vagcom to the car and ran an Autoscan on it.

Its came up with the following code.

Controller: 036 906 033 A

Component: 1.6l/4V SIMOS3 00HS3259

Coding: 00031

Shop #: WSC 00788

1 Fault Found:

17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating: B1 S1: Performance too Low

P1103 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: 0010 1001

I cleared the code and told him to run the car for a few days and I'll re-check it again.

I have told him that he may require a new Lamba sensor but I'm a bit confused on the following issues.

1) Does the car have two lambda sensors (1 before & 1 after cat), and

2) What lambda sensor does this fault code effect?

Cheers

Rusty

The fault code reads "17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating: B1 S1: Performance too Low" B1 S1 is short for bank one sensor one. as the car is a 4 cylinder (1 exhaust manifold) there is only one bank, and sensor one refers to the first lambda (pre cat)

Before you go and change the lambda probe check the connection terminal and the plug mounted under the vehical 169144-ok.gif

There is a running fault because the readeness codes are not set as well

Thanks for your reply,

I'll get him to check the connection of the lambda sensdor to the harness.

What do you mean by the readiness code for the lambda sensor.

Will a new Lambda sensor eliminate any readiness code issues or do you have to adapt some thing withing vagcom.

Would any readiness code issues cause the car to be over-fuelled.

Cheers

Rusty

When readiness setting are not set the car is not fimilar with itself e.g the ecu does not know where the red line is or what advance the timing should be at, so the vehical runs at basic setting. It can take up to 200 miles for the car to set it self because the vehical has to been driven in all sorts of conditions to "get to know itself".