Phatnoise Installation in RS6

terrycollins

Well although the phatnoises are slightly longer, it should still fit in ok. What some people have done, including me, is cut a rectangular hole out of the boot cover to allow access to the cartridge. My RS6 arrives today and I will be installing a phatnoise quite soon afterwards.

Craig

I installed a PhatBox in my RS6 Avant more than two years ago (when the car was a week old).

I managed to fit the unit on the tray which the CD changer bolts to but, because the PhatBox is deeper (front to back) than the CD (because the cartridge protrudes at the front, and the interface cable protrudes from the rear), I hacksawed the rear panel from the mounting tray, and re-drilled the mounting holes to position the unit further back.

The 'official' mounting instructions would have you bolting the PhatBox to the boot sidewall, where it would be exposed to any luggage carried in the boot.

I know that some people have mounted the PB on the CD tray, but cut a slot in the side hatch cover such that the PB cartridge protrudes in to the luggage space. I didn't like that option, and felt that my method, although more work, was much neater.

I have some pics somewhere, if that would help.

Does your car have the CD-based Navigation plus system? If so, you will almost certainly find that a US spec. PB will suffer from minor drop-outs during playback (and, possibly, occasional flat battery).

I have upgraded my car to the newer DVD Nav, and the PB problems have gone away.