Vw mk4 gti 1.8T power loss

smeaton

Hi people, this is my first post. I recently have had my gti tunned to 192bhp, it was running top but then has faded and the proper power only comes on occasionally especially when the car is cold in the morning! I have tested the coil packs, reset the ecu but the problem still persists, my next check is the maf! Before i go and spend the money can anyone tell me if this sounds like the source of the problem? A parts dealer said i can buy the inner part(electrical) of the maf rather than the whole thing, is this ok? Really appreciate anyone's help or opinion. Thank you, Nick.S.

Welcome to tyresmoke.

Our resident techs tend to get on the boards in the evenings, so please be patient, have a look round the rest of the forums while you wait and an answer should arrive 169144-ok.gif

It is often advise that you can disconnect the MAF and have a drive - if the performance is the same with it disconencted then it would indicate that the MAF is at fault.

[ QUOTE ]

What Spec/Age/Engine/miles?

If it is a Mk 4 Gti 1.8T i would suspect the coolant temp sensor, if the sensor is black then it is very old, if it is green the it is new-ish.

522879-jetta-engine2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound like the MAF it located just to the right and up a bit from the arrow, If fine to just replace the inner part as the outer bit is just a placstic shell 169144-ok.gif