Radio code!!!

Waitey

Hi there just a quick question, I am going to disconnect my battery to see if the drainage holes are blocked up,as the carpet in the passenger footwell is getting damp. Do i need to reset the radio code after reconnecting, if so do i have to get it from stealers? Is there also a specific order to disconnect the leads and will anything else need resetting?

Not such a quick question really, oh well

Cheers

Big Al laugh.gif

The radio will normally be OK for 20 minutes or so, but you will find the code towards the back of your service book, in the Stereo section. Your dealer will not normally have this, although as far as I'm aware, they can get the code from VW after a few days as long as you have your car's V5 to show that you own the car.

If all else fails, you can get it reset by various companies that advertise on Google - try something like "radio code reset" or similar.

Always disconnect the negative lead (normally black) from the battery first. When you're hooking everything back up, reconnect the negative lead last.

HTH

beerchug.gif

VW stealers should do the code for free - says so in the radio manual. When my Passat was in for service, the system was down.

If your Passat is quite new - it might have the stereo that is paired to the car - which means even when the battery is disconnected, the radio will stay 'alive' without the need to re-enter the code.

Well, thats my understanding of the 2004-> manual and radio.

• 1 month later...

That's correct. My 1.8Ts radio had gone a bit mental, so I took the fuse out and left it over night. When I put the fuse back in and then turned the radio on I got the message "CODE" or something like that. I then tuurned the ignition and the radio recognised the car and no code was required. (The problem I had with the radio was fixed as it had reset).