[Audi A3/S3] 2.0T FWD vs 3.2 Quattro

radcoup

I generally don't like comparison threads like this but here in the states we currently only have the 2.0T Front Wheel drive. In a couple of months we get the 3.2 quattro (haldex gen2).

Since these cars have been out in Europe I would appreciate any insight you may have as to which one you think would be more appropriate for my situation.

It doesn't appear that we will get the 2.0T quattro anytime soon if ever. The 3.2 Quattro is haldex gen2. As far as I know there aren't any performance enhancements for gen2 like there are for gen1. Also gen2 is not as aggressive as PreX.

There is a company in the states that is working to create a bolt on kit for the 2.0T front tracker to make it Quattro. This may or may not be a cost effective solution for making the 2.0T Quattro.

It doesn't rain much and never snows where I live. My interest in the 3.2 is because it has the haldex.

From purely a handling standpoint do think the 3.2 quattro would be a better in a track situation than the Front Wheel Drive 2.0T ?

The cost difference between the two cars is around $4500. I'm not concerned about the price or gas usuage.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Craig

[ QUOTE ]

There is a company in the states that is working to create a bolt on kit for the 2.0T front tracker to make it Quattro. This may or may not be a cost effective solution for making the 2.0T Quattro.

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth are they going to turn a FWD into 4WD; sounds very expensive to do after-market and I wouldn't bother.

If cost is not the issue then go for the 3.2 quattro, no question 169144-ok.gif

The company working on the haldex conversion kit is NGP Racing. I think the phrase 'bolt on' is being used liberally here smile.gif Yes, I would think this would be a rather difficult mod.

I'm coming from a BMW M Coupe so not sure I would adapt so well to FWD. I don't have any driving experience with haldex and doubt the dealer is going to allow an aggressive enough test drive to test it's merit smile.gif

It seems the consensus here is that although the 3.2 weighs more than the 2.0T the addition of haldex on the 3.2 is worth the added weight in terms of improved handling.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have any driving experience with haldex and doubt the dealer is going to allow an aggressive enough test drive to test it's merit smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have a choice? wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It seems the consensus here is that although the 3.2 weighs more than the 2.0T the addition of haldex on the 3.2 is worth the added weight in terms of improved handling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'd feel the benefit of 250bhp with just the front tyres doing all the work. Unless you have shares in Goodyear of course.

[ QUOTE ]

There are now 4 2.0T models in the UK now, up from 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have read Audi will most likely not bring the 2.0T quattro to the usa. The reason is the cost of getting the gas tank approved. The cost of the approval process can't be justified against the low projected sales. It seems like everyone in the usa would prefer the 2.0T quattro. We just don't get the nice line up of cars you do in Europe. Americans seem to prefer those awful SUV's.

The 3.2 will probably do much better since there isn't a 2.0T quattro and maybe that is what Audi is counting on.

• 1 month later...

I think the A3 3.2Q falls under the same "Approval" as the R32 and the TT 3.2Q. But in order to get the 2.0TQ the go ahead, AoA would have to go through the whole process again frown.gif

I'm now in the same boat as the original poster..... Time for a new car, has to be US Spec, so I'm torn between the 3.2Q (Which would run me around US$35k) or the 2.0TFSI FWD (At around US$31k.... but it's FWD frown.gif)

So anyway, I'd be interested also in the opinions of anyone who went from an 8L A3 (Preferably Quattro such as mine) to the 8P (Q or FWD).

Thanks beerchug.gif