Your VW is now a Porsche. Well, almost...

Mook

From www.guardian.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]

Porsche, the German luxury sports carmaker, is to spend about €3bn (£2bn) buying a 20% stake in Volkswagen to safeguard it from a foreign takeover, it emerged yesterday.

The move cements long-established links between the two German car groups. But it also comes after a week in which the share price of VW, Europe's biggest carmaker, jumped 17% on rumours that overseas investors, possibly including Kirk Kerkorian, the US corporate raider, were planning to take a strategic stake. VW has been targeted in the past by American hedge funds keen to see a reform of its ownership structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

More here...

But Porsche's shares have "plunged":

[ QUOTE ]

Shares in Porsche plunged today after the luxury carmaker said it planned to raise its stake in Volkswagen to about 20%.

Shares were down 11.3% at €601.55 (£408.89) in morning trading on the Frankfurt exchange despite the company's assurances that its €3.3bn stake in Volkswagen would not affect future projects.

Porsche, Europe's most profitable carmaker, is developing a fourth model line of cars, the Panamera saloon, to add to the 911, the Boxster and the Cayenne.

[/ QUOTE ]

More here....

So now I'm really looking forward to the Boxster Plus (same car, higher roof) and the 911 Touran (7 seater)... 169144-ok.gif

Actually, I haven't - it was more a dig at the Golf really. I will have a go in a Boxster sometime though, if only to persuade myself that if I bought one it wouldn't just be because I can't afford a 911... tongue.gif

I guess I'm not surprised that Porsche's shareprice dropped at this news, but I think it's a good move, both for Porsche and VAG. As long as Porsche remain independent. I would NOT support a merger into VAG.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Boxster Plus. A Boxster, just a little bit more pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you another one of those people who has never driven one either... tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think that a Boxster was a poor mans 911, or at least thought it was a ladies Porsche. How wrong I was! A colleague took me a spin in his 986 Boxster S and I soon realised that my opinion on the Boxster was fatally flawed!

It may be cheaper than a 911, but by no means does that make it inferior. Great car, and anyone (like I did) who slags them without having been in one, should really take one for a shot!

Well considering that the company's are basically spawned from the same family.......and of course Mr F Piech is a Porsche family member??? it was only a matter of time.

The Porcshe 924 and 944's were made by VW, as Porsche did not have the capacity. And the flat 4 engine of the Beetle........., And I am sure there are many other 'unmentioned' links and engineering projects going on between the two.

[ QUOTE ]

I used to think that a Boxster was a poor mans 911, or at least thought it was a ladies Porsche. How wrong I was! A colleague took me a spin in his 986 Boxster S and I soon realised that my opinion on the Boxster was fatally flawed!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an awesome car. Not too great if you've got more than one passenger, but an awesome car all the same 169144-ok.gif

Poor man's 911? Erm, bollox...