Which is the best diesel

Frodo

I am just trying to justify the expense of the 3.0TDi and fuel-economy. Should I compromise and go for just a 2.0TDi and reap the benefits of the fuel economy but be disapointed with performance?

One interesting point is the 2.5TDi looks as efficient as the 3.0Tdi Q, if you add Q to the 2.5 I would estimate the MPG being the same as the 3.0. Which is the newer engine?

If I was going for another diesel I would do my level best to get the 3.0 Tdi. I am yet to hear a bad review about it and while the 0-60 makes it no slouch, the torque and mid-range grunt makes it a phenominal (sp) car.

The 3.0 is a new engine whereas the 2.5 has been around for a while.

The 3.0 is obviously more expensive and thirstier but I bet it is an absolute hoot to drive.

Edit - I believe the 3.0 out-performs the BMW 3.0 diesel as well (but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

[ QUOTE ]

One interesting point is the 2.5TDi looks as efficient as the 3.0Tdi Q, if you add Q to the 2.5 I would estimate the MPG being the same as the 3.0. Which is the newer engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3.0 is the first Audi TDi engine to use the latest piezo electric injectors. At idle it is as quiet as the FSi petrol units. It is a much more efficent engine than the 2.5.

[ QUOTE ]

I am just trying to justify the expense of the 3.0TDi and fuel-economy. Should I compromise and go for just a 2.0TDi and reap the benefits of the fuel economy but be disapointed with performance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go for the 3.0Tdi if you can afford it Frodo. If, however you want real economy and a car that is plenty quick enough in real world driving then I genuinely don' think you'd be disappointed by a 2.0Tdi......I've put 3.5K miles on it in the 5 weeks that I've owned it and it just keeps getting quicker (now at 11.5K miles).

169144-ok.gif

Performance of the 2.0TDI is really good, if you can live with the noise!

I'd agree its probably all you need in the real world too...

It's quick off the line, and is plenty nippy enough for overtaking the annoying grannies on the country lanes. 169144-ok.gif

...I soon got used to seeing the flashing yellow car on the dash though! grin.gif

I get sick of the little yellow flashing thing and the squeely noises when there is any moisture on the road mad.gif ... and for any "hard" country driving I turn the thing off so I can drift it better "squeel piggy". laugh.gif

It's got to be a quattro again next time round though - but first I have to make her undestand that it's for the safety of the baby smlove2.gif.

We changed recently from a 1.9TDi to the 2.5TDi (though it's a 150) and I reckon it is quicker, but there's not loads in it.

It's also nearly twice as heavy on fuel. We could regularly get high 40's on a run (sometimes over 50) whereas the 2.5 returns about 24 in town and about 30 ish on a run. (Though my wife says she can get it up to 40.)

I'd imagine the 3.0l would be more fuel efficient rather than less in comparison to the 2.5. Not only is it newer, it doesn't have to work as hard to get the car moving.

In the same way that I know of a few TT owners that had their cars chipped and then saved enough in fuel over the next six months to pay for the remap.

There's a very good article about the 2.5TDi as the forgotten engine in the line up in the latest Audi Driver (if you can get your hands on a copy - I'd send you mine, but I'm in it and it's the only copy I have...)

The 3.0Q sounds great to me, but my budget only allowed me to get a B6 which I'm more than happy with.

After driving the 1.9 130, 1.9 130 Quattro, and 2.5 180 Quattro it had to be the 2.5 180 for me.

I know its not as economical, but to me it felt significantly faster, sounds a lot nicer and is much rarer.

After my first tank of mixed driving it has averaged 37.7mpg which I am quite happy with.

[ QUOTE ]

MrMe: Scoff ye not. Even my 2.5 V6 TDI sounded actively *good* at speed, not just inoffensive (you heard the V6 rather than the TDI). Distinctly rattly at startup, I'll grant you. I suspect the 3.0 would sound even better...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it was your lower limbs that recently sustained injury G? Not your head or ears? yelrotflmao.gifwink.gif169144-ok.gif