Cam Chain!!

jimmyp

I have definatly come to the conclusion that my R is the bad one out of the bunch, following on from my previous post "Poly Belt" i have just this minute got back from the dealers, they are not too sure what the problem is and are now starting the big 3 day job stripping her down to get to the cam chain, and carrying out some investigation work on her as it may not be this and something totally different.

Nothing is ever simple, and there was me thinking it would just need a new tensioner,how wrong i was!!

So if any of you guys are getting a clicking or unusual rattling sound when you hold the revs at around 1400rpm,

i would get this checked asap.

oh and I should add that the dealer knew all about it from their sister Audi dealership. Original pronosis was a 'worn' oil pump. When I phoned back to say it wasnt fixed they put the engine straight on order. To say I was gutted was an understatement.....Should say VAGTech helped me out here - they'd seen one just a week before with the same issue resulting in a new engine

Funny you should say that as that is exactly what the guys at my local dealer said "possible worn or faulty oil pump" and they are waiting for a reply from VW Technical on this issue as they have most of my engine or parts sitting on the work shop floor with the apparently expert Techs wondering what could be wrong smashfreakB.gif.

I just hope that it is just an oil pump and not an engine as this is the last straw now, i think shortly that there might another R for sale, well i hope not!!

New oil pump is being fitted first thing tomorrow and have been told that they will be starting her up around lunch time, oh and the mega friendly (not) work shop controller as assured me that that won't release the car until she is 100%. (you have told me that every time the car has been into you,i believe you....not!! suicide.gif)

Fingers are crossed............

Sorry I could bring any better news. I was more than a little disappointed myself but in defence of the stealer they did a great job and I've got a new engine to run in with 20k fewer miles on it. Once it happened I had to take the view of protecting as much of my (depreciating) asset as possible - plus for me the R goes beyond being just a set of wheels. Just the fans to be replaced and a seemingly erratic xenon (Weds).........

Ritchipa-why didn't they just replace the cam chain, i've been told by the techs that if the car is still making the noise after the new oil pump has been fitted they will consult VW Technical and the next step is to replace the cam chain, why didn't they do this to your car, why the new engine, was the engine fooked???

With the new oil pump fitted still we have the same problem, so they are now doing some more stripping down to get to the intermediate crank (what is one of those confused.gif) and then if that is ok, they will be looking at the cam chain and chain tensioner, i have a feeling that one of the nylon sleeves in the tensioner is fecked. But will they listen to jimmy...will they f*@k. So let the waiting begin!!

openfire.gifstealers smashfreakB.gifsuicide.gif

OK, here's the rub. Spoken to a couple of people about this to find out the real truth... sekret.gif

Audi have acknowledged that there is a problem with the cam chain tensioner (a cogged wheel) wearing prematurely on a major batch of the 3.2 V6 engines, because the sub'd out company who made them didn't spec the material properly at the point of manufacture.

VW have yet to acknowledge the problem, but I can almost guarantee that this is the cause Jimmy.

Apparently the reason for not wanting to publicise it and do a recall is because of the cost of doing all of the work under warranty. Apparently it requires the engine to be removed, stripped, rebuilt and put back in again. Hopefully with no nuts and bolts left over at the end SAUER0421.GIF

All for the sake of a little wheel with cogs on it...

[ QUOTE ]

So if any of you guys are getting a clicking or unusual rattling sound when you hold the revs at around 1400rpm,

i would get this checked asap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it only happen when the engine is cold or will it do it any time hot or cold ???

Starting to wonder about my hamster sound now ! crazy.gif

cheers

matt

I have what sounds like the same problem, the car has been into VW five times and they still have not found the problem,i have now informed them of the imformation i have gained from other R32 owners and they have booked the car in for next week to try and get the problem solved.I have told them not to return the car until it is repaired i think that six visits is enough.

It's good when you have to tell the dealer what the fault is.

Ok here's another update, having inspected the cam chain,chain tensioner and guides these are all in perfect working order.

Now some of you will remember my post a few months back about my clunky clutch (you no where this is leading) anyway i get a phone from the work shop controller to say that that dual mass flywheel is loose and needs replacing. I then reminded him of when i bought the car into him to have one of the so call expert techs to check it for me as i have felt it was never right, "thats normal" they told me back then,well it obviously bloody isn't is it, so they are now fitting the £800 flywheel to the car and lets hope that this solves my problem otherwise i have no idea what is wrong with her.

The car was registered nov 03 and if all is well i'm off to big boys toys tommorrow to spend some money. smile.gifsmile.gif

Mook,

I've had the same problem with my R. The car is at the shop now awaiting the arrival of a new crate motor.

VW is paying for it.

If you have any other information on the topic or if you have a link to the artical in which Audi acknowleged the problem, please let me know.

Here's my post from the the US.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2215067

Welcome to Tyresmoke Schneer 169144-ok.gif

Unfortunately I can't disclose my sources of the info as they are not supposed to have access to the information. It is, however, a trusted source.

Having read your thread on Vortex, this is exactly the problem. Good to hear, however, that VW are getting it sorted out for you.

Hope you can cope without the fun of driving your .:R32 for a few days while it's being fixed...

beerchug.gif

Mine is at the VW dealer now, they rang this morning to confirm that the noise is internal but did not know what was causing it and it would need further investigation.

They have just rung me again to tell me that they have ordered a new engine which they hope to fit tomorrow/friday.

I think that if you have this noise you must be persistant with the dealer and get it sorted whilst you still have warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

My car also has the "hamster wheel" noise, which is a high-pitched squeak.

I think my problem may be different because I have 28,000 miles on the clock and have been hearing this noise since before 12,000 miles.

I can usually hear the sound at idle and it becomes louder when the clutch pedal is pushed in. When the clutch is released, the noise either disappears or becomes less audible.

Just two nights ago, I discovered that the noise is also present while in gear. I was able to hear it echo off the concrete road barriers as I was rolling slowly along.

It's tough to say whether anything is getting worse, but the clutch operation hasn't changed in 1.5 years.

I described the problem to one dealer and they pretty much ignored it by telling me, "We have no idea what it could be."

Another dealer heard the noise, then proceeded to blame the evap purge valve. Um...no. frown.gif However, this particular dealer has fixed a few niggling problems, so they're willing to work with me on this. I just have to visit again and demonstrate the noise to the service manager. Yikes... I really hope I won't need a new motor!