wiring dimmer on non-dimmable lights

skifly

Have a prob someone electrical might be able to help with...

I have a double switch controlling 2 sets of lights that i want to replace with a dimmer - one of the light sets is defo not dimmable so was wondering if there is any way i can buy a double dimmer and one of the knobs just not do the dimming thing??

Someone must understand all those connections on the back... ??

Oh and BTW - these are house lights - not some chav under car lighting setup!

How are they not dimmable?

You can get switches that have a normal on-off switch alongside a dimmer. Would that work?

I had some Halogen lights that said they can't be dimmed. They can, but it will reduced the life of the Transformer. I just replaced the transformer and all worked well.

well i have a set of normal lights in my bedroom that i want to be able to dim but also have the switch for the en-suite which controls some non-dimmable halogens plus an extractor fan...!

Not seen any switches with both on yet? An i just looking in the wrong place?

Cheers Sparky

It can be done, look at MK electric, heres a link for the PDF MK gridplus

MK do other styles, but here is a standard white setup.

You will need the following :-

1x K4501WHI (220w dimmer unit)

1x K4882WHI Std 1gang 2 way light switch

1x K3632WHI White Face Plate

1x K3702 Mounting plate

This list will git you 1 standard light switch and one dimmable light switch

The wiring will be the same as what you have already got. Goto a local electrical retailers to get these items (eg, Rexel Senate, Edmundsons.

If you are not confident in changing the unit SEEK professsional help NONO3.GIF

righty - will get on the case with it tonight. Hopefully should all go to plan - will do my best not to frazzle myself (after getting a full 240v zap from a boiler heating element) - dont want to be losing any more TSN'ers.

Cheers for the help (& shopping list to make it real easy for me)!!!

think i am heading down that route now - have a friend who is a plumber but just did quite a bit of work with a sparky on his new place. He offered to do it for me and get all the parts - i gave him the shopping list too cheers!

Was a little worried after the boiler element zapped me - luckily my forearm was resting on a pipe at the time i touched it so wasnt too bad (insert hint of sarcasm!) - was sat there for about 15 mins afterwards shaking with shock i guess (no pun intended). A cuppa and choc digestive later and i switched the correct fuse off and finished the job!

could do the two boxes trick I guess - would be the easy way plus i could get it done myself rather than waiting a couple of weeks for my mate to do it.

Am so careful now with electrics! Turn the whole place off at the main switch rather than switch each curcuit off as and when i need to.

My zappage was rather impressive though - was removing the thermostat from the boiler element and touched the contacts on the back of it where it connects to the element. I swore rather a lot to say the least...!