Would you want this car?

Smudge

Another story from Glasgow Airport!! Was again wondering around & took the obligitory look at the Black 997CS parked up and available as a prize on the car competition running in the terminal.

The car looked lovely, well spec'd etc etc. Anyway, I bent down to do my shoe lace up & also took a look at the tyres. blush.gif.

Girly promo girl comes over to sell me a ticket, to which I politely decline, and ask, "how old is this car?".

Girl :- "it's brand new, though we've had it for quite a long time, no one wants it as a prize".

Me:- "reason I ask is the tyres are fecked".

Girl:- "Well the clock says only 100 miles, I don't know" (as in I don't know why they would be fecked)

So from what I can see, you could win a 997CS fully spec'd up (even pccb's) plus £30k cash from these guys, but, I reckon it's first 100 miles included some time on a track, what do others think??

557105-DSC00189.JPG

post-2160-137914327154_thumb.jpg

I've got to say since I've been in and out of airports a lot the last month every time I've seen those prizes I've thought thats the car I'd take if I were to enter and win purely because the £30k would cover insurance and servicing for a year or two.

I'd want the tyres replaced though!

On a very similar note, was chatting to my neighbour yesterday, who in turn was chatting to the prevoius owner of the house.

Previous owner just bought a brand new VX Astra from a main VX dealer in Edinburgh (at Sighthill), and when he took delivery of said car the tyres were 1/2 through their life, ie, 4mm (ish) of tread left.

Loosk like someone swapped them out for his new ones when the car rolled off the transporter.

Dealer not willing to cough up for new tyres tying to say thats what the car came with, so tough!!!!!!!!!

Yiou just don't know what happens with cars before you get them tehse days.... too many crooks and snidie people about.

smile.gif

Blatantly been given a thrashing from cold and lost great chunks of tread by the looks of it. Dunno about you guys, but the last time I drove a car which wasn't mine on a track I didn't exactly hang about.

Also opens up the debate over whether 'dealer demos' are a great used buys. Yes, they are likely to be loaded with spec, but the sales guys get to cane them home at night! They'll also get loaned out if the dealership run out of service courtesy cars.

Would never buy a base spec Mondeo TDCi 115 LX with around 6000 miles off Autotrader - who wants an ex-Avis vehicle? Will have undoubtedly suffered a very hard start in life.

Ian

well, regardless of the car having fecked tyres or not, if the car was free and had its manyfacturers warranty with it i wouldnt care less!

Buying a car with your hard earned money is a different ball game but something free is well.... just brilliant!!

A mate of mine is currently debating whether or not to buy a DB9. It is in a UK showroom (I won't reveal where in case someone reads this and buys it before him). It was a prize in one of the airport raffles and the dealership bought it off the winner before he even registered it. They must have got it cheap as it is being sold for list even though there is a two year waiting list and they could add several thousand to the price for the customer not having to wait.

Now obviously I am incredibly jealous of my mate if he buys this car but not that jealous as he will be financing it through my firm and it will be the biggest sinlge car deal that we have ever done laugh.gif. It will mean that all the Mrs spending at christmas will be paid for that's for sure SMOKE6.GIF.

The only thing stopping him buying it is the fact that he has lost so much money on his current car, a Jaguar XKR. Flush.gif

He will be running it through his firm and the company car tax is £1100 a month SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Accountant told me not to bother when I thought about putting mine through the Company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it makes sense though. It does in this case as the monthly payment is just under £2k. To earn that before tax is just under £3k so he is better off paying the tax. It also means the firm will pay insurance, maintenance (which ain't going to be cheap) and stand the depreciation, which in the first year alone is going to be £10k.

[ QUOTE ]

557105-DSC00189.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nasty - It didn't happen when they pushed it into the terminal , that's for sure!!

When I was at Gatwick a couple of weeks ago the had a Cooper S - A DB7 (IIRC) and a Duke 999.

The one thing that stood out was how swirled and scratched the paint was on the two cars!! mad.gif Nasty......

The paint on mine is like new after and they needed a good going over with a PC!!

BUB NONO3.GIF