Cheaper UK alternative to PC?

runflat

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the PC. It doesn't have to be as powerful, but I want something in between this and a cheap polisher.

Some other comments to help:

I used a Woolworths Random Orbit that the father-in-law lent me and it did a surprisingly good job of polishing and waxing (removed very fine scratches and haze but not the more prominent ones). Saved a lot of time I would normally spend hand waxing.

My car is only 2 weeks old, so don't need major renovation, just want a machine I can use decent pads on like the Sonus ones or Megs ones, rather than elasticated bonnets.

Budget - under £100 if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always 169144-ok.gif

I have a lead on two types of machine... one is based around the Flex electric motors which is the German partner of Porter-cable, but these machines are twin heads and hand made in sweden and are going to cost around £300.

The other is a Swedish company that sells a very similar model to the Smart Tool (possibly better)for about £18!

Don't ask me why Sweden is the place for polishers at the moment, but this seems to be the case.

I'm getting more info on it this week and hopefully will be able to point you in the right direction.

[ QUOTE ]

^^Dan do you mean the bitlema tool, If so I have one and its v good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, funny that somebody should notice it on a Danish web site... If you get them from Sweden (where that company is based) they are about two pound cheaper...

You can post up the link if you can find it, as at the moment I'm waiting for a lead on the brush heads for them. The brush heads are superb for carpet cleaning... I don't know how we ever managed without them!

Also the velcro goes on the normal heads after a 18 months of heavy use (ours get a lot of use). So I'm after normal heads too... so I have somebody contacting the company.

^^There was a recent group buy on the megs website where some kind danish chap sent a load of them over for us. It has variable speed control, replacabel carbon brushes and will not bog down under pressure. The autosmart tool does not have the variable speed control so I think your right these are better!

[ QUOTE ]

Also the velcro goes on the normal heads after a 18 months of heavy use (ours get a lot of use). So I'm after normal heads too... so I have somebody contacting the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

The velcro heads for the Smartool are available over here - but as you're probably aware, the spindle thread is slightly different to the ones used on the Biltema polisher, they otherwise look identical.

I have the Biltema polisher aswell as the Smartool, so I'd be more than interested in buying a spare set of the velcro heads for the Biltema if you manage to get hold of them.

I just looked it up on the Swedish web site (identical to the danish website excep it's in Swedish!), and it seems the price is a bit more expensive over the web. £21.70

http://www.biltema.se/products/product.asp?iItemId=98894

So you must get a different price when you walk into the shop. But still, at those prices, they are practically disposable, even though it would be nice to get replacement parts.

I did try to track these machines back to the source a few years back - somebody I knew got offered 100 @ £15. But he lost the contact details and I only got as far as the Chinese trade commission before I gave up. I'd love to track down the manufacturer and get access to parts... I dare say AutoSmart have an exclsive deal in the UK, but I know somebody who might be interested in becomming a supplier and is fairly close to home.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't find the post, but I am pretty sure someone had used one of these with some success

DeWalt DW443

what are your thoughts on one of these or would pads be impossible to source?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in this article...

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,3/Number/375610/page/1/fpart/1/vc/1

but the dewalt item is no cheaper than a Porter cable at the end of the day.

OK, so I have pretty much decided to buy a Dewalt DW443 which is on offer at B&Q online for £95.

Dewalt 443 linky

Can anyone tell me what I need to convert it to a polisher and where to get the pads from?

I want it for applying NXT wax and for occasionally removing light scratches and swirls. I have flat black paint that does pick up minor scratches in day-to-day use, but I don't want to make things worse with too abrasive a pad.

what about:

Pink polishing pad

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=21032&ts=06700

don't know wha size or fitment it will need?

Please, any help would be appreciated 169144-ok.gif

get yourself a flexi velco backing plate and then order some lake county pads from john at cleanandshiny (cutting/polishing/finishing)

applying wax you want a finishing pad

to appply a polish you'll need a polishing / cutting pad these come in different density for more or less cut.

Cheers guys. After all that I have looked at the opm rate and the range is 8400-15200. The Porter Cable offers 2500-6000 so I wonder if the Dewalt may be a little too much?

So....priced up the PC again and Autopia are doing it at 20% off at the moment. For anyone interested in full costing:

Porter Cable $119 (£68).

Shipping $42 (£24)

Sub Total £92

Then add from Screwfix:

110v Transformer £34.99

Plug £1.75

extension lead £9.99 (if you want one)

Total £139 ish

So...after all that I am tempted. Just need to decide on whether to get the Sonus DAS pads or the lake country from John. confused.gif

My advice is dont get DAS unless you like regluing the velcro or throwing good pads away. Isnt the 20% when you buy a kit with the Sonus SFX pads? These are much better as they are bonded to the velcro properly, and are supposed to be very similar to the Lake Country ones.

Even better would be Edge Pads which C&S might be stocking soon...