Steering grinding when stationary!!

dimma02

A question,,

When say reversing out of my driveway and I stop and turn the steering full to left or right I hear a grinding noise but only when at mega slow or stop speed!!! Steering is fine otherwise. Is this a symtom of the electric power system or maybe having 18' wheels, or something else wrong!!

Anyone else have this. Flush.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, had this problem for 2 weeks now and it was driving me crazy! so i booked it into VW Poole and got the mechanics to have a look at it this afternoon. the engineer came back after an hour with the car and said he could find nothing wrong, so i went out with him to demonstrate this horrible noise and guess what? it had gone!!! can you ***** believe it!!!

i get a little grinding noise when i turn the wheel at rest. always just at the same position on the turn and only for about 10 degress of turn then it goes and on the following turn does the same again. will bring it up with my dealer when they collect it next tuesday. will let you know

Mine is a 06 spec car,, Indeed seems to be very common and mainly turning to left and at same point (degree). As the car seems fine driving, I will put up with it till its first service...Don't francy getting whole steering rack replaced in a car thats done 1500 miles only!!! Maybe its normal on a electric type steering........any ideas.?? suicide.gifsuicide.gif

been to stealers today to get the lowdown on the mild grinding noise on the steering wheel. on mine its just noticable and a nice engineer chap who just happens to be called jason (what a wonderfull name smile.gif ) said its the copper contacts against the metal ring making the noise and that theres not much they can do apart from applying some oil or grease somehow. its what makes the horn and the indicators ect function when you turn the wheel.

well i have just got back from the stealers - they reckon a new steering rack is in order and the car is safe to drive. I also asked them to have a look at the peely side trim and the boot rattling.

well they are going to deal with the trim when it goes in for the steering rack, plus they aparrently fixed the boot.

Well i can defo tell they looked at it!! The amount of white hand prints all over the leather seats, doors and exterior trim makes it bl00dy obvious!

So all in all a good day was had by me esp after waiting an hour for their taxi that would be 5 mins this morning (that they were supposed to pay for), missing my meeting then having to get said taxi to take me to a cash point as the dealership didnt have an account and the dealer calling me up saying there is no problem until i explained again and to quote he said "oh, we were looking for another problem"!

Not impressed - bromley time to perk your act up next time i go in!!

My car has just been in for investigation for these very symptoms. It's now officially a problem which is being investigated by VW and dealers are being advised to to take no action until further instruction from Germany. It's apparently not a serious problem - fecking annoying though!!!

To top it all, the courtesy car (1.9 Diesel Polo) conked out on me in the middle of rush hour traffic - turns out the previous user had filled it with petrol...amazed it got 23 miles before giving up!

[ QUOTE ]

To top it all, the courtesy car (1.9 Diesel Polo) conked out on me in the middle of rush hour traffic - turns out the previous user had filled it with petrol...amazed it got 23 miles before giving up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding! I know we all spank and mistreat demo, hire, and courtesy cars, but petrol in an oil burner!!! jump.gif