Allroad or A6?

brn7y

Just gone through this process for the wife...

We test drove a 2.5tdi allroad vs a 2.5tdi A6 avant = both were the 180bhp versions.

Both agreed that the A6 Avant was a much better drive in terms of comfort and noise, and the mpg returned was significantly better.

In addition, the allroad carried almost a 2k premium on the price.

Twas a no-brainer in the end, we got the a6.

Depends on what you want.. Do you need/want the variable height/self-levelling suspension - or not.

As to fuel consumption my automatic Allroad (180bp tdi) achieves 30-32 solo and 22-24 towing a 1700 kg caravan.

My only comment relates to Tyre wear. Currently I only get 12-15 000 miles on a set of tyres - the P6 Allroad and tyre choice /availability is limited to only two tyres.

Several people have mentioned the expensive tyre costs, does anyone know if its ok to fit RS6 alloys, chances of most allroads going offroad is pretty much zero anyway( apart from your's Daz grin.gif), so standard road tyres would be fine, with the stronger sidewalls ofcourse 169144-ok.gif

As has been said it depends what you want from the car... We recently bought a 2.7T Allroad, as an interesting alternative to a people carrier or 4x4. We have a small child and another on the way and my wive was having difficulties with her back bending down to put jnr. in the back of out VR6 golf. The Allroad is tall enough to make this easier for her. As an added benefit it is almost completely uneffected (when driving within the limit) by the speed cusions my local council is insisting on putting down everywhere. Oh and so far we are averaging about 22-24mpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there is much in it between the allroad and the A6 quattro v6 tdi 180 around town, maybe out on a fast road the slightly better aerodynamics of the standard car would give you a bit of benefit.

My reasons for the allroad are almost exactly the same as XfffesSpecial.

[ QUOTE ]

Thinking of changing my A4 to either a 2.5TDi(180)Allroad, or a 2.5Tdi(180)Quattro A6. Which to you think would be the better option, taking into account, fuel consumption, retained value etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, if fuel consumption is more important, a PD 130 quattro would be the better option with AmD input. 169144-ok.gif

Ian

I prefer the avant so the A8 is no good for me, but it does seem a little strange that by the time you get the options on to match the A8 is cheaper.

Just noticed that the Q7 is the same in germany, by the time you spec an A6 3.0TDi Q avant up to match the Q7 it gets more expensive too.

The allroad will be great if you have very young children, the extra height is priceless, both in terms of everyday use, and if you should ever be unfortunate enough to have a serious crash.

The fuel economy is shocking on our 2.7 petrol though!

When we got ours, the A6 was the same model, but the new A6 is much bigger is'nt it?

The new allroad looks great, anyone know when it's due?

Top tip for anyone with very young children....... get the remote changed so that one push opens all the doors at once wink.gif