Starter Motor Problem

Sefton74

I have a 1995 2.0 petrol and last week the starter motor completely packed up and would only offer a clicking noise. checked battery etc and all worked fine. Bought a replacement starter motor and this solved the problem. however, less than a week later the same problem has happened again. the only way I can start the car is to bump start it.

I am thinking if I buy another starter motor the same thing will happen. Can anybody help? confused.gif

Was the replacement new? If not it could have just packed up. Also many refurbed starters are poor quality and dont last long.

Not sure about VW's, but on my 205 the clicking the starter makes is a sticky selenoid so its not that the entire starter is buggered. Sometime's if you have an electrical problem and not enough current running to the starter it can trip out the selenoid so it doesn't work.

Might be worth charging your battery as well.

It sounds like the solenoid is knackered. This sits on top of the starter motor and is what pushes the gear of the starter motor onto the flywheel.

Did the replacement one come with a new solenoid, or was it reconditioned?

Sounds drastic, but try tapping the starter and solenoid gently with a rubber mallet.

Also check the earth strap and live feed are correctly attached at both ends - just make sure you disconnect the battery before you start checking them EEK2.GIF