Sky +

Chrisg

By accident (read brain out of gear) I managed to record two programmes at once, Eurosport and a digital radio station.

Is this because the radio uses a different part of the HD as it is only an audio signal or should I try two TV channels at the same time?

I am currently putting out to tender fitting Sky +, DAB and DTT and FM radio to 1,100 properties. I had a meeting with Sky Homes last week and they were telling me from Christmas Sky are getting rid of the normal Sky box and only Sky+ will be available. They had also had a meeting the previous day about HDTV internally at Sky and saw a demo, apparantly its shockingly good, the picture is 4 times sharper than normal Sky, it also means you only need to change the box if you have the Sky+ wiring and dish, just need a compatable monitor. Sky are broadcasting HDTV test demos at the moment but its encrypted so delaers cant even get them.

I was going to get Sky+ but will now wait to HDTV next year.

I remember ages ago someone was doing some HD tests in my office. we had 2 TVs next to each other, both huge, one with standard, and with HD (i think only 720). The same ice hockey game was on both. The difference is truely stunning, there is soo much more detail.

If anyone is after Sky or Sky+ at the moment they have a referral scheme on until 31st October: If anyone with Sky+ recommends a friend to join Sky the friend gets "normal" Sky installed free and half price subscription for 3 months or Sky+ for £49 and 3 months half price subscription. The recommender gets an upgrade to the Sky+160 box which IIRC can store 80 hours (unlike my 20 hour box which is constantly full).

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to refer them grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I am currently putting out to tender fitting Sky +, DAB and DTT and FM radio to 1,100 properties. I had a meeting with Sky Homes last week and they were telling me from Christmas Sky are getting rid of the normal Sky box and only Sky+ will be available. They had also had a meeting the previous day about HDTV internally at Sky and saw a demo, apparantly its shockingly good, the picture is 4 times sharper than normal Sky, it also means you only need to change the box if you have the Sky+ wiring and dish, just need a compatable monitor. Sky are broadcasting HDTV test demos at the moment but its encrypted so delaers cant even get them.

I was going to get Sky+ but will now wait to HDTV next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they only do the Sky+ box they run the risk of alienating a whole bunch of potential subscribers. Not everyone wants to use Sky Plus. I for one found mine very buggy and temperamental. I much preffered the Tivo which hasn't let me down in 3 years 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

The flipside may well be they drop the £10 subscription fee maybe? notworthy.gif

I've never had any problems with Sky+ but perhaps that's because I'm on their version 2 box.

I think whatGabster meant was that they'll stop selling normal Sky. To me, normal sky isn't worth paying - you only get good value when having the HDD recorder and 2 recording facilities. You don't pay the £10 fee if you take movies or sport channels either.

I've seen the new Sky HD box - looks very nice, but the demo unit was in black. Not going to look too good in a completely silver setup! grin.gif

I was on version 2 also, it would lose recordings, say the planner was full etc. etc. [ QUOTE ]

I've seen the new Sky HD box - looks very nice, but the demo unit was in black. Not going to look too good in a completely silver setup!

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always try some of this 169144-ok.gif575423-zzzzzzsilverpaint.jpg

post-134-137914329435_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

I had a meeting with Sky Homes last week and they were telling me from Christmas Sky are getting rid of the normal Sky box and only Sky+ will be available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how they can do this, I wanted Sky+ for my apartment when I moved in, but because we have a communal dish for Sky, I couldn't install Sky+. Apparently you need 2 cables coming in from the dish for Sky+, and with a communal dish this isn't possible.

So if what Sky has told you is true, everyone with a communal dish will not be able to get Sky after Xmas??

You cannot purchase standard sky after Christmas, not that you can't use it.

I don't see it happening myself, I'm sure they will be pressured into changing that plan, but I read it that you'll no longer be able to buy plain Sky after Christmas.

If you've got Sky now, they won't stop transmitting after Christmas just because you're on the old box!

Used to have one of those at old place but the HDD kept creating a mystery block of recording that we couldn't delete long term. It would always come back.

New Amstrad boxes seem to have much better disk management, in fact they even seem to compress programmes as they dont take up as much space as the used to. However the HDD is clicking a lot, which during a quiet moment in films can be a little off putting. SKY said they would send an engineer out but they will replace the box and I will loose my recordings.

I have an Amstrad box and its near silent. No clicking or anything like that at all.

I also haven't seen any of the issues about lost recording or needing to rebuild things etc. It seems to be better than the Pace boxes from what people have mentioned and I have seen on forums. Have had it for 18months + easy and its still going strong. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I also haven't seen any of the issues about lost recording or needing to rebuild things etc. It seems to be better than the Pace boxes from what people have mentioned and I have seen on forums. Have had it for 18months + easy and its still going strong. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a standard Pace box, which started misbehaving a couple of months after the warranty expired.

I opened it up, and found a maxtor hard drive, which was duly returned to Maxtor in Ireland for a reconditioned drive free of charge. It cleared up the problem straight away (unable to record, issues with strange recordings, and no input from signal 2 - all symptoms of a failing hard drive).

Can't have a dish at the new place, so am going for Freeview with PVR.

Cheers

Ben