gear boxes

lankyandy

iv just had my a3 2.0tdi quattro remapped and am very happy with the results but i am finding the gearing annoying now.the problem is that 3rd runs out at 60mph and i get ther very quickly so always end up changing to 4th during the over taking which isnt ideal.i was wondering if anyone has had ther gear box changed with completely new ratios or by altering the final drive and wot the results are.idealy i wouold like third to go to about 75-80mph and it deffinatly has the grunt to pull this now. any help on who to contact or any experiances greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

iv just had my a3 2.0tdi quattro remapped and am very happy with the results but i am finding the gearing annoying now.the problem is that 3rd runs out at 60mph and i get ther very quickly so always end up changing to 4th during the over taking which isnt ideal.i was wondering if anyone has had ther gear box changed with completely new ratios or by altering the final drive and wot the results are.idealy i wouold like third to go to about 75-80mph and it deffinatly has the grunt to pull this now. any help on who to contact or any experiances greatly appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Which re-map have you had?

On mine it revs to redline now, 3rd doesn't run out til gone 70mph which is perfect.

[ QUOTE ]

So, am I right in thinking that a re-map re-programs the ECU so that gearshift thresholds are revised? My question applies to both Manual and DSG transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some remaps remove the software based rev limiter, so the car can reach higher RPM before it kicks in, hence if you car can only hit 58 mph in 2nd gear at 6400 rpm (or whatever), then increasing the rev limit to, say, 7200 rpm, will mean you can hit 60 in second gear.

A pointless exercise, i.m.o., unless you spend your time red-lining your car away from the lights just so you can beat the Chavmobile sat next to you...

Tuning is a fantastic thing and once you've started on one car, it's very difficult to not do it to your next one, but I always have and probably always will modify any car I've got.

I chose AmD to tweak my first GTI Turbo a few years ago and they have played with everything since. Reliability has never been a problem (180K + miles out of my A4 1.8T Sport).

www.amdtechnik.com - a fair way from Dorset, but well worth it 169144-ok.gif

....AmD near Oxford? I got good friends in Oxford I can always stay overnight with (doing so this weekend) but A303>A34 is a nice drive anyway.

I've gone off the idea of re-mapping while still under warranty....had a long chat with VW UK today....but favour MTM and Oettinger anyway due to their close relationships with VAG in Deutschland.