Intermitant Blower motor

I have a '99 1.8T with climate control , everything works fine and dandy apart from the blower only works when it wants too. It normally works with the up and down arrows to increase/decrease the required airflow. But most of the time pressing the arrow buttons does nothing !

I've done the usual check/replacement of the fuse in the fuse box but wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their blower motor.

According to Haynes manual to remove the blower motor you have to remove the glove box and passenger air bag (if fitted) - I do have a passenger air bag and am very wary of setting it off by accident !

Any help or advice would be great

ECLIPSe.gif

I have changed the blower motor without removing the airbag, although it is not what VW had in mind, is very time consuming and involves scraped knuckles and other painful body parts. On the blower motor casing, there are 3 rubber tabs which, when pushed out, allow the motor to be removed separately from the casing.

Thats the easy part, the hard bit is replacing the new one in the same way!!

Not my first choice of repair work, but I was not going to mess around with the air bag, nor pay for the dealers to do it.

Why VW design cars this way, is a mystery... confused.gif